Author Topic: Berkeley  (Read 3246 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Berkeley
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
Any authorities in Berkeleys out there please . Which , if any , Berkeley cars should use a cast aluminium hub nut like this with the letter B  ? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:18:56 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: Berkeley
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
Interesting question, Richard.  More than once, people looking at my Mk A Bond have said things like "Oh yes, it's got the 'B' on the hubcaps - only the Mk A had those ... except of course the Berkeley"

... but I don't think I've ever seen a Berkeley with them!  They usually have heavily-coned chrome trims, and if there's a B on the spinners, it tends to have two circular 'holes' in the B (as in the pic below).   Incidentally, my Mk A has the plainer of the two Bs you show.  That is, the upper one in your photo.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »
Berkeley Caravans?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
There's an idea Stuart . David the red Berkeley featured above definitely has a B . Grants Bond A had the 'fancier 'of the two
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:17:23 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
I think it's only the early "Sports" models that had them - the wheel discs came in sometime in 1958 when they started calling them SA, SE or whatever although I don't know what's underneath the discs! They only ever seemed to have the B type hub nuts on the rear wheels and I don't think they were on the caravans.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
Interesting to see these two hub caps together. I would suggest that the fact that both the Bond MkA and the Berkeley Anzani were the original production run cars made from concept/prototype Laurie Bond cars is why the same solution has been used on the rear wheel hub. In both cases redevelopment to the design, and a change in the design has seen the hub cap drop the badging. I would sugest the lower, fuller figure mirror image B is the Berkeley version. That leaves the more regular font B to the Bond.
But does the other Bond design car feature this same answer to a simple problem?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
I haven't a Unicar photo to hand but having been involved in that one moving to Jeans last year I can say though it had no B nut

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
No need to swear,,, ;D. I do not recall one either, but that does not mean anything. Besides it perhaps would feature an O, which would not really show up. So are these two caps interchangeable, as well?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »
Trying to. Pin that down al