Author Topic: Ligier JS6 Diesel  (Read 3738 times)

Many

• Just Starting
Ligier JS6 Diesel
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and I would like to say that I live in Portugal, I've got some old motorcycles ( a 1960 Bonnie among them) and now I bought a JS6 Ligier.
This little funny car has a 327cc Diesel engine that is running fine, but the speed variator sometimes gets stuck and does not engage forward gear. Then we have to use a 13mm spanner to force the small lever where the cable is connected, to go upwards, push the car forward and the problem is solved... until next time  :-\
Does anyone have a clue on how to solve this problem for good?

Thanks

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Ligier JS6 Diesel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
Hi Many, welcome on board

Not familiar with the car, but it might help other contributers if you could post a couple of pictures just to help clarify the problem & how you currently resolve it.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Many

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »
Hi Rusty Chrome,

Here are some photos.
I will attach some more if needed.

Regards

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
Not familiar with that engine. Not sure what drive system it has got. Sigma is a confusing result on Google as several production facilities have used it. M=Need someone with an example, or experience, I think.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »
I don't know anything about these engines but start with the basics and make sure there's oil in it , see if the lever can rotate on its splines to get more leverage when changing from forward to reverse , other than that there's probably wear on something

Many

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:17 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm sure there is oil on it, but since you mentioned it, you made this come to my mind: Is the oil too thick? I'm going to change it as soon as I have time to do it.
Yesterday it happened again: I only could engage neutral and reverse... I had to use a 13mm spanner to shake the lever while the engine was idling and the lever jumped to its place again.
I am beginning to get a picture on how and when it happens: I think that if I mess with the gear lever while the engine is not running, then it will be jammed. I dont know if the lever is supposed to be operated while the engine is stopped, but I think that it should not be a problem...
I bought this little fellow only 3 days ago, so we are now beginning to know each other.

Regards and thanks for your replies

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »
Is this a transfer box / differential unit? Or is it an automatic drive unit remote, but next to / part of the engine?

If it is a transfer box / diff unit they operate by use of a gear for forwards, and a chain for reverse, normally. A chain, even in the best of times, has a bit of slack in it. So for reverse it can move slightly on selection, which might be enough to gain selection of the drive. A gear, on the other hand is much less likely to have play in it. Thus it will not allow a small movement to facilitate the selection, as is the case with reverse. All this being so, it might be as simple as the idling revs being just to high for the unit to be unloaded, and thus able to engage the forward gear.

The same thing can happen with varomatic drive. If there is a transfer box and the drive belt is rotating to fast, it will be throwing the bob weights out and attempting to select drive. That usually results in no ability to select any drive with the engine running. It can create a nasty gear clashing noise.

If the engine is like the Lombardi diesel, it sounds like a very slow tickover adjusted correctly, like a mini digger, or dump truck. So it might be worth knocking the tick-over as slow as it can go. If that is successful, then you may need to re adjust your throttle cable so it has minimal slack, or you might find that top speed is unavailable for the given pedal movement. It is not uncommon to find these cars with the throttle cable acting as the adjuster, rather than the carb/injector stop, and the tick over to be to fast as a result, or because the last person did not know how to adjust the carb/injector for best performance.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Many

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »
Hi Big Al,

Thanks for your help.
I found this engine for sale. It is like mine, but it is for sale 2000 Km away from me, otherwise I would buy it.. it should do as a learning tool.
I hope that these photos will help you to identify this engine and may be someone know it and is able to provide some more information on it... diagrams, photos, schematic... anything  ;)

Regards