Author Topic: Guess who rode in a FriskySport for the first time  (Read 3844 times)

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
Guess who rode in a FriskySport for the first time
« on: April 27, 2016, 04:11:07 AM »
Can you guess who went for a ride in a FriskySport for the first time?
https://youtu.be/JPMHOUV6VVw
1958 FriskySport

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Guess who rode in a FriskySport for the first time
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
The passenger?
Seriously though I do not know, but if you are not in first gear at the end of the video, and your payload wieght continues to exceed 50% of the cars-  you may experience a shorter than anticipated clutch life.
I'm still trying to figure out how to extricate myself from my just arrived Berkeley.
Did your passenger fair any better?
Funny that getting in was a relative breeze, but it seems as though the "jaws of life" could be useful if one needed to get out in a hurry. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:55:54 PM by steven mandell »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »
I recognize that passenger!
He is the host of that new show LOW GEAR.
Basically it is just him trying to get in and out of various cars.
He is not always so successful.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:36 PM »
 ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
For those who are interested, it is none other than our hard working Editor Chris, currently meeting up with American enthusiasts such Ken Weger, Ian Hellings and Mark Green gathering material for next the RUMCAR NEWS.  Keep up the good work Chris you make a great ambassador for RUMCARS where ever you travel.  Jean
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:31:34 PM by Jean »
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:57:06 AM »
Looking forward to a detailed report from our roving reporter. Those yoga classes paid dividends.  ;)
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:23 AM »
Malcolm a typo there . You missed ou two important words - " would have " 😀
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:41 AM »
Damn, not Yoghurt classes. That explains a lot. The spoon doesn't half get in some odd places.

I think a TV program called Low Gear following a roving enthusiast might be a rather good watch, actually. Forget a script and get interesting, naturally humorous folk to strut their stuff. The only problem is it would require a certain level of intelligence to watch.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:53:42 PM »
Chris,
If you decide to visit the Los Angeles area before returning home, I could give you a few interesting rides around my barnland.
Additionally, for contrast, I could lend you a most comfortable Cadillac to tour around  in for a few days.
However in the case of a MiniComtesse ride - you would be literally on your own.

Mark,
Both of you appear to be travelling with our windshield's uppermost border at about smile level.
Does that mean that it is undriveble for people of your stature with the hood up?
Just exactly how tall are you guys?

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »
Hi Steven
I am 6'3" and I can fit with the hood up. Just easier for Chris and myself to get in with the hood down.
1958 FriskySport

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
So you have to bend your knees a little more, slide your butt a little foreard, and hunker down a bit to drive with the hood down?
If not, how do you manage with a significantly lesser degree of head space than that you are seen to be enjoying in your video?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
Some cars have a driving position biased to the top of the screen. Personally I do not like that. Its a reason I never campaigned a Trabbi, or a Multipla, for instance. Other folk seem to quite like it. To be honest I do not recall having this problem in the Frisky, but I am not tall. For its size the Frisky has space in it. My annoyance, I think, was the intrusion of the engine to the rear, into the cockpit / back of the seat. Again I have not driven the seemingly better Sport, four wheel version. This might be better all round. It has to be said that some three wheeled versions of the close coupled 4 wheelers are not as good. It was a trade of for lower tax, and better sales. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
Dear All
I must say a great thank you to Mark Green for taking me for a ride in his pride and joy. With my legs outstretched and braced against the back of the bumper brackets and my knees wedged under the dashboard, and my head above the top of the windscreen, causing my eyes to water at speeds in excess of 10 mph, I have great admiration for mark who was able to double joint his legs in such a way as to operate the pedals and to change gear using the lever under his horizontally positioned right knee.

The Ford GT40 was marginally easier to get in and out of, only the proximity to the ground that challenged my knees.

I have come to the conclusion that most car designers only design cars to fit themselves, thinking that they are a normal size. Of course every generation has been taller than the previous, or in my case taller and wider, compounding the issue. Therefore I am quite happy to let owners drive while I act as ballast to both hold the car on the road and to test engine power to the limit, without the need of a steep hill.

There will be more about my attempts to drive other vehicles in the USA in future editions of Rumcar News.

Thanks again Mark

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »
Aha - so you were in effect operating as an impact absorbing structure to limit damage to the chassis.
Yet some still say / think that no thought was given to safety. ;)
So the answer to my previous line of questioning revolves around Mark's abilities as a double jointed contortionist.
Al- The engine box intrudes more significantly in the Sport than the FF3.
However they both share the problem of not providing much room to get your legs through the relatively truncated doorway  aperture above and especially in front of the front the wheel wells, in a manner similar to but more difficult than a gull wing Mercedes.
Was the Family Three or Sport any worse than the other in this regard?
Perhaps Malcolm or John will additionally weigh in on this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:12:05 PM by steven mandell »