Author Topic: NEC, missing prize winners  (Read 4314 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
NEC, missing prize winners
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Several sources have commented on what sounds like an odd decision by the NEC organisers to not accept a stand from the NMRC, despite that a few years ago there was a a prize winning stand put on. One wonders what you need to do to be certain of a position. Owning something really boring perhaps. The BX Club got a prize and then the golden raspberry too. Never was a great fan of NEC type shows, but such loyalty deserves the two fingered salute. So saving £45 Root and I attended Oakely Poke, a local autojumble, and found rare bits of micro for just pounds.
Seriously though, if the NMCR was rejected I register my disappointment on your behalf. Its not my thing but a lot of folk enjoyed getting involved in one way or another.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: NEC, missing prize winners
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
When I heard about the decision by the Classic Motor Show organisers to not provide space for the National Microcar Rally stand I also felt very annoyed at their short-sightedness. But then again the show has a new organiser company that perhaps does not understand the dynamics of such a show. To them it is a business and when space is at a premium it goes to the highest bidder. Unfortunately if you follow that logic all the registers who have nothing to sell, and show their cars in good will ( ie it costs them money to attend) will over time be forced out, and all that will be left will be the big traders and  small stall holders selling flying jackets, Organised rallies, polish, tools, Chrome plating, Insurance, etc, and the show will have lost it's heart.

Look at it a different way other classic car shows insist that cars are not allowed to return year on year and preference is given to the rare and unusual, This keeps the show fresh and interesting for the visitors. If we look at the National Microcar Rally stand, not only has won awards, but it attracts large crows, regardless of the fact that it is shoved into the end hall in an ever decreasing plot. The range of cars that Ray and Jenny manage to get onto the stand are always different and very rare. Only when the popularity of the show starts to drop, will the organisers come begging for them to return.

In protest I am not going to the show. What is the point if the National Microcar Rally stand will not be there. I made the decision to visit Epoqu'Auto in France, which was much smaller and of course very French and had a microcar stand. It took a bit longer, but then again it was an adventure.

The early Classic Motor  Shows were good. I think it is now too big and past its prime.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
Bristol dumped us years ago. We never have coalesced to go back. Their lose, as well as our, perhaps. As now we struggle for the local supports - see various rambles on Bath etc. NEC does seem to be pigging a few folk off though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
In a strange twist a rum car became a prize winner at the classic car show yesterday.
My frisky sport was entered on the pride of ownership stand in the posh hall one and managed to win 3rd place in best of show.
You could have knocked me over with a feather.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:34:15 PM by super-se7en (Malc Dudley) »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
The best prizes are ones you never expected you might have. Even the old UFO award at the National, when it was given for the tattiest driving car present. A subtle difference to the worst car at the show. You could have pride in getting a heap to the rally and drive it. Normally there was a story, be it just found, vandalised or suffering an accident. The UFO award was a positive incentive, and an inducement to participate. To celebrate the worst car is possibly to upset someone, so it becomes a somewhat political award, as occasionally the real winner would be greatly affronted. What got me about the UFO award is someone nicked it! It did allow the possibly timely change to what happens now, as far less crappers turn up.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
Congratulations Malcolm, well deserved.  You have achieved great recognition for an incredible restoration of a unique car which has a fantastic history.  Also keeping the Frisky Register in the headlines of the Classic Car press. 
Hope you had a good supply of Duracell batteries to keep Mr Meadows going for the three days   :D

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »
I needed the batteries as John is the one with boundless energy. Its a shame that the national micro car rally was not represented but hopefully that will change for next year.