Author Topic: Hello, new to microcars  (Read 10773 times)

Minidaz

• Just Starting
Hello, new to microcars
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »
Hi, hope this is the right place to post.
My names Darren and I'm looking to get my first microcar. I've had a variety of classic cars - currently own a Hillman Husky - but always liked these strange looking little cars, so figured now's a good time to see what's out there.

A quick eBay search bought up the mini-comtesse, which I'm tempted with, with the aim being road registered, but I'm open to all and everything at the moment.

I'm sure there's plenty of reading on here to do, and a bit more researching elsewhere, but fingers crossed, I'll join the micro ranks soon  :)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Hello, new to microcars
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Hello and welcome. There are one or two Comtesse owners here so you might be able to get a bit of advice and feedback.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
Hello , I had a bidd on the last mini comtesse that was on eBay but I didn't like how the bidd was going and I had a feeling someone was bidding up so i stopped and it seemed to go for a good price , I bet that one comes back up for sale again in a couple of weeks , nice bond bug on there at the mo for 7 grand , looks like the prices might be falling abit

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
Welcome Minidaz
I own several Sans Permis French cars.  Like the Mini Comtesse, Cars without Permit.  In France you could drive them at age 14, or so old that you couldn't get a licence or if you lost your licence say for drink driving.

Some will not agree with me but as far as I am concerned, any of the 50cc Sans Permis cars are not suitable for driving on English roads for more than a mile or two.
Self inflicted euthanasia springs to mind.
They are fun to have and drive on private land but they are just not suitable as transport.
OK for picking up a Baguette at lunch time but that's about it.

I would start with any of the 125cc upwards cars (Willam) .  If you really want to drive anywhere (rather than turn-up at shows on a trailer) you need 200cc upwards.

Just my personal view.

messyman

• messerschmitt kr200, frisky, isetta 300
  • Quite Chatty
  • messyman motors
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
hello there and welcome
messyman restorator of rust relics vw or bubblecars
www.vw-specials.forumotion.com
Messerschmitt kr200 x2 ,frisky family 3 mk1 shell,isetta 300 lhd chassis, vw polo,vw caddy mk1 , t4 , mini , my dad has 2x Messerschmitt kr175

Minidaz

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, and feedback.
Must admit, some of the comments online regarding the comtesse do make it sound like a quick way to end up in a bad spot, and being able to drive to shows, even local ones, would be nice, so that specific car may not be the best for me.

I'm in no rush, so plenty of time to see what's out there, see what suits me, and go from there.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »
I tend to agree with Barry. If you live in a small quiet village with light traffic and just want to pop out to the shop, or just have the pleasure of owning it and drib=ving on private land then a 50cc S.P. vehicle might be fine.

Somewhere around 200 cc and 40-50 top speed is around my minimum engine size for more than the shortest trip on public roads, and even then modern car divers can get impatient when you not doing the customary 60 mph in a 30 mph limit!

The problem is that the more road-useable micros tend to cost more!

Take your time and see what is available. In the Summer there is usually a RUM cars Open Day, a friendly casual affair, at which you have a good chance of having a ride in various micros and bubbles, if you are polite and respectful!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »
I never really understand how anyone can fancy a microcar as they like the look of them , odd really as they differ so much in their looks . There is really very little in common between a Bond Minicar , Isetta , Messerschmitt and a Moni Comtesse just for example . Don't  you really have to have a particular desire ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »
I also subscribe to the limited usability of the smaller and underpowered cars. Of course owning a Husky you are nearly the owner of a Bond 875, Plas. Quite why these are accepted as Microcars defeats me, but they are. They are as cheap as you like to obtain.
I have become aware of some really quite interesting and usable more modern microcars on the continent that so far seem to be being completely ignored, perhaps as they tend not to resource from the current favourite resource area of South France. Following the crowd often costs, but getting in before things are discovered is a way to gain a bargain. I doubt I will be buying these up, to much else to do.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:36:41 AM »
Early Smart cars are now dirt cheap, a few hundred quid will get you a fairly decent little motor. I understand they're not truly regarded as micro cars, perhaps on the grounds of weight but I think the versions with 699cc engine just scrape in, and I reckon they could become more sought after in years to come, as the mark two and three Smarts don't have the same level of character.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »
I agree, the early smarts, left hand drive are interesting.  My diesel Smart will not become a classic.  What do people think of the new Smart range?  I saw the two seater for the first time and it looked even bigger!  Going the same way as the Mini which is now enormous.
I saw an original 10" wheel Mini the other day and it was tiny.  Should they be let into the microcar world (850cc) - they are in the US I think.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
The biggest versions of the newest Mini and Fiat 500 are now about the size of the original Range Rover!

Original size Minis and Fiat 500s are indeed virtually micro cars by modern standards, but they have their own clubs already so not classed as micros for RUM purposes

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »
The newer Smarts have been diluted to get a foothold in the US market I think. The change to a larger normally aspirated 1 litre engine a few years ago was part of that arrangement I think.

The latest version is not a bespoke design like the original, the underpinnings are the same as the new Renault Twingo.

Modern front ends are making a lot of cars larger, they have to have a larger 'soft' area in front to better protect pedestrians against impact.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »
What are pedestrians doing in the road?   >:(

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:41:46 PM »
Most pedestrians in London now seem to be allergic to pavements and insist on walking in roads and cycle lanes, usually with babies and toddlers, and usually too busy on their phones to care about anything else.