Author Topic: Wanted: Isetta rear lens  (Read 5903 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Wanted: Isetta rear lens
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
Got a note from the current owner of the only surviving Factory-built Isetta Pickup (British-built, ex-Allan Forster I think).
One of the rear lenses has "gone missing"
See pic of what it used to look like and pic with current rubber housing and lamp in center as it sits.

Is this a common lamp housing/lens combo for other British built vehicles of the same era?
I have also heard this was common to the early Land Rover as well.
I don't know if the lens is glass or plastic.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Wanted: Isetta rear lens
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
If Bob could confirm that it's the same as the one he had off me we just need to confirm what the other one is . Looks repro which would be plastic , originals glass , but what's he got that's where we start Jim
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
The lenses look the same as mine. I think they were L488. Glass or course.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
Jim if glass originals there are several batches with slightly different Lucas wording and shade but see what he has and we can match it - or if plastic possibly replace with a correct glass pair
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
well, turns out he has NO lenses.   :o
they were there at the Auction...now they have disappeared...

So I sent him a listing for someone in the States selling L488 lenses/fixtures and he is going to pick up a complete set of red glass lenses in their fixtures with the chrome ring.   
thanks for everyone's assistance.

Next on the list is an attempt to freshen up the paint on the car by bringing it back to whatever it was originally.
I've got him poking around the car with a heat-gun prying up any original sound-proofing to see if there is anything visible underneath.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
Three surely no point going to all that bother and then buying modern replica plastic lenses !

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
There is more than one type of fitting with those lenses on. If its just the lenses that he needs I guess it doesnt matter.

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:40:44 PM »
They're very easy lights to find, unlike the later plastic lensed 3" lamps with integral reflectors.

Looks like the lamp holders could do with replacing too, as they should be silver/galvanized. A pair of new lamps can be had for under forty notes on ebay.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-STOP-TAIL-lights-L488-for-MORRIS-Cowley-Van-Pick-up-1950-53-replaces-53178-/330733257242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d013d021a
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.