Author Topic: the bigger picture  (Read 13043 times)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: the bigger picture
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
Still cant. What am I missing here?

I'm confused, too. What did you post, Richard, and where?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
A tangent that has popped into the twilight zone, I think. Always thought that would be a good name for an appropriately designed Bubblecar, The Tangent. Probably politically incorrect now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:09 PM »
well its not me this time  ;D. The Fisk Family Collection 1994 and Steve is pictured , middle of three sons aged 10 , in the Scootacar . The Steve quoted in the article is in fact our Steves dad
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:15:11 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
Earlier on a point was made that knowledge is becoming scarcer and held only by a few who aren't getting any younger.

My thoughts are that if you want knowledge to continue then you have to pass it on, be it by mentoring on a 1:1 basis or putting it down in black and white.

That requires a certain degree of effort, some will make it, but many won't, or are reluctant to release information like it's some sort of state secret. The latter seems to be a peculiarly British mentality, I've witnessed it in many specialized interests and it can bring about the demise of societies, as members fall off the perch. I can understand it a little more if someone is making a living from such expertise, but do find it a little hard to fathom when it's just a hobby.

Value wise I think many micro cars have now reached the point where prices are unlikely to rise further.

Personally I much prefer lower values, as I'm an enthusiast not an investor. High values just make the car more nickable and push up the price of replacement parts- removes the joy in what should be a fun hobby.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Sorry, only babs in arms get spoon fed. Its not my responsibility to give my time and knowledge away free to those who cannot be bothered to make an effort to source and invest in information they need to maintain their hobby. There damned lucky to have the clubs we started for them to get them off the ground. Seem tpo be making something of an arse of that with very few new faces coming to the for. Talk about OBEs, Streuth!
The information is here for those who make the effort. Once interest is elsewhere there is not time to wipe newbies bottoms. These folk have other targets to achieve and the batten is passed.

Value wise, I agree, time to exit stage left, therefore. Campervan man and his wealthy chums win. I retain the right to keep a small collection and the spares stashed to run them. If they want to do stuff I do not, go ahead, and good luck. Occasionally I might appear when something like a National appears that warrents a visit, like this year I think. Sadly the opportunity to grab the attention of the South Coast mob, as notified, was missed at the NEC, so they are not going. I don't make the rules up.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ on that one.

Clubs were formed to pool knowledge and funds to get spares reproduced.  The internet is changing much of that, as spares can be sourced all over the world and knowledge can be shared online easily and much better than via more traditional means e.g. magazines.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »
Indeed so.

And yes, it was never easier to look for information. But I notice that many sites have removed data from free access, as it was being abused, A series tuning info for instance, and the fact it was available meant that the struggle to gain the data was minimal, and thus it was not appreciated for the investment in knowledge, and club, put in. Better to make people pay their dues to respect the access to information. It sorts out those who are serious and will actually converse with the source, ask the right questions and are clearly 'the right stuff'.
The alternative is to use the Wikifacts, which is a ill defined research posted, and often contains incorrect information. If you do not bother to cross reference, your derailed. So the internet is a good starting place, but I find it is normal procedure to then follow that with personal contact, visits or attending a suitable meeting.

Case in point. I am forever being asked to lone special tools or fix cars. Depending on case, I offer the option of coming here to get things done or not. Hardly anyone follows that up as it inconveniences them. Well there is a surprise. To all those who still have my tools from way back, in some cases, it would be nice to have them back!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ on that one.

Clubs were formed to pool knowledge and funds to get spares reproduced.  The internet is changing much of that, as spares can be sourced all over the world and knowledge can be shared online easily and much better than via more traditional means e.g. magazines.

Shame there is not a 'Like' button on here, as on Facebook :)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »
Indeed so.

And yes, it was never easier to look for information. But I notice that many sites have removed data from free access, as it was being abused, A series tuning info for instance, and the fact it was available meant that the struggle to gain the data was minimal, and thus it was not appreciated for the investment in knowledge, and club, put in. Better to make people pay their dues to respect the access to information. It sorts out those who are serious and will actually converse with the source, ask the right questions and are clearly 'the right stuff'.
The alternative is to use the Wikifacts, which is a ill defined research posted, and often contains incorrect information. If you do not bother to cross reference, your derailed. So the internet is a good starting place, but I find it is normal procedure to then follow that with personal contact, visits or attending a suitable meeting.

Case in point. I am forever being asked to lone special tools or fix cars. Depending on case, I offer the option of coming here to get things done or not. Hardly anyone follows that up as it inconveniences them. Well there is a surprise. To all those who still have my tools from way back, in some cases, it would be nice to have them back!

And perhaps an 'unlike' button :)