Author Topic: Get that caravan!  (Read 12276 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Get that caravan!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
We all think differently.  While I watch the video I was thinking, Hmm nice bike, nice Tuk tuk. I would have used and enjoyed both as they are and were intended. If others think its clever to destroy both to make something only fit for a childrens video I guess thats the opposite end of the spectrum but I still dont get it. We all get our fun in different ways I guess. Maybe I would gain respect for the guy if I knew of something he had invented that was useful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:05:41 PM by Bob Purton »

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »
Sounds a bit harsh.

Personally I've always been a fan of modified and custom cars, and often they've gone on to become classics in their own right (e.g. Barris brothers Hirohata Merc).
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »
Don't worry you will get it your own way as there is less and less interest on the forum for RUM vintage stuff which is what it was . There is more and more copy , replica, modified stuff and now exploding caravans . Isn't there any other site where loonies could be happy ? Why here ?  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Because you keep putting boring stuff on here.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
I think, perhaps unwittingly , you have summed it up  :'(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
I didn't think the RUM was necessarily for vintage stuff. I mean it's been around for how long now, over thirty years?

Were the cars vintage then, or just old?  :D
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
Suggesting viewing a guy using skills I have not got. Like making home made turbo jets etc. I would suggest that is an invitation to be doing the opposite of dumbing down. So he modifies a TukTuk. Not exactly destroyed, nor is it rare. No different to matey bollox with that over engine Ape thing. I think its the blowing up of caravans that is the problem. Love those campers! That is what I found hysterically funny. Lets get the TukTuk and Furze to a Rally and watch the Furze fly. Or perhaps a club meeting down his place to learn how to do the wall of death on his home made installation.  :)

Getting ready to start modifying a Borgward to enter HRDC type sport is not dumbing down, either. Neither is playing with IC when no one was interested. Nor getting ready to restart business after building up a property. Constructing new parts from nothing, a new departure for me, learning new skills. If your saying I am getting more interested in things your not interested in, indeed yes, I probably am. Fact is Microcars seems to be an area of dumbing down, as it seems not to know where its headed, unless Rob is right. But I do not think anyone who knows me could accuse me of dumbing down. Indeed I seem to have posted rather a lot of new topics in the last month or so to this very site - just one of many sites regularly visited. Of these, most invite the observer to put a bit of effort in to find the facts. It weeds out those who are not so interested. Not being interested is an effect of dumbing down, is it not? If I am dumbing down I have never enjoyed doing it in so many new ways.

Still I will keep the wilder things going on out there to myself, if that is what the un dumbed down want. Talking of which, who is braving the snow to go to any of the three auctions this weekend? Three? You knew there was one. Some might know there is two but.....In line with policy and to not be dumb I could not possibly say more.   :o ;D 8)
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
I didn't think the RUM was necessarily for vintage stuff. I mean it's been around for how long now, over thirty years?

Were the cars vintage then, or just old?  :D

No, Rumcars is not just for old stuff. It is about preserving them though.

To quote from the home page..."The Register is not a commercial enterprise. It exists purely to maintain records of the existence of these rare little machines and to encourage their preservation and restoration. "

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:59:35 PM by Bob Purton »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
Big Al. Hope you didn't think I was going on about your messages? Some of your listings have me crying with laughter  ;D ;D ;  Thanks for helping to keep me happy and entertained in this sometimes sad world.  Rob.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
As do yours Rob. I was falling about at this last one. I would not have dared say such a thing.  ;D

Actually I have taken the thread out and posted it to various acquaintances,some who really have no great interest even in cars. Most came back and asked why I bothered with posting, when the reaction was so negative. Its a fair question. It has created a deal of amusement over the idea that I am dumbing down, or becoming dull. I could inflict some stinging comments, but its off site opinion. I think my retired civil service mandarin friend has a valid observation; that while defending a set of rules for outmoded ideas, it is very easy to refuse any change, thus to become boring and ceasing to be relevant.

Well for my part I am not researching any microcars at the moment. Nor am I likely to be, unless it is Messerschmitt or Goggo. Only Goggo if the Register is to become live. It seems like its dead but someone must have its records and files. I can start to tell you about Borgward and racing, but not the Lloyds, despite their racing success. That Borgward is linked in ways to Glas and BMW, the scandal of Borgward being put out of business. So my ability to stimulate on the core topics is very restricted, though I can react to threads other people put up, on remembered golden nuggets from the back of my dumb old brain. So its really up to someone else, who is researching, to put the goods on display.

Is anyone researching? If not then that will be why we are making do with caravans blowing up, is it a microcar discussions, fake cars and who flogged what to whom and where. I can get by on most of that, unless my time is to become to valuable to be bothered. Besides I enjoy a good laugh. What's your excuse?  ;D
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs