Author Topic: scootacar - rytecraft  (Read 7583 times)

chavattov

• retro pierro
  • Occasional
  • retro-pierro scooter & microcars
scootacar - rytecraft
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/759957171.htm?ca=17_s

here a rytecraft  body on sale in France.
hope it could be save.

Pierrick
inter 175a, frisky sport, reyonnah, scootacar

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: scootacar - rytecraft
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
I have only seen this , the fairground bumper car, version in photographs before . An easy renovate I expect but would be hard to find correct wheels if not engine ( Rusty Chrome surely you can find photos of this one  ;) ) at least I expect this is original ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:04:00 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:04:54 PM »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »
There was a similar "Brooklands miniature racing track" at Eastbourne Pleasure Gardens when it opened in 1935, where they also had Rytecraft Scootaboats nearby. No idea what they looked like.
Malcolm

Barry

• Prolific Poster

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
I knew a shop a while back that sold copies of old b/w photos and wish I had bought the one of a semi aerial view of a 30's racetrack with Rytecraft Scootacars , with the large bumpers with the spring shock absorbers . A great period shot and could well have been Eastbourne
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:13:25 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
I've lived around the Eastbourne area for 70 years and haven't heard about a 1935 Eastbourne Pleasure Gardens with a rytecraft track or ryteboats. Eastbourne has for years  not allowed anything to upset the tranquility of the seafront. I can't find anything on the net . In the 1950s I remember Littlehampton having an indoor figure of eight track that crossed over itself in Smart's amusement park built in 1935 I think, with old 1930s four wheeled electric cars that got their power from overhead wires like trams,  could have been rytecraft based with springy bumpers all round. My brother and I went there in the late 50s as school kids and he was knocked out of his car onto the track by some idiot shunting into the back. After having his head sewn up we went home to Polegate. A couple of days later someone came from the park with an offer of £100 to keep quiet, which my Dad grabbed with open hands!  There was also a track with those type of cars on one of Brighton's piers. I remember a mate and I was chucked off for bumping into each other, we had only did one lap. We were not amused, they were bumper cars after all to our eyes.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:32:20 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »
And yet thousands acclaimed it Eastbourne's Mecca of fun!

From the Sussex Express June 28 1935.
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »
I am not so sure about Harry's Corner, but a miniature Brooklands track sounds brilliant.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
I did wonder if it could be the same "Brooklands" track shown in one photo on the link that Barry posted, but from a quick look on Google maps, there doesn't seem to be a site in Eastbourne where you'd have a railway bridge in the background.
Malcolm