Author Topic: Larmar leaves  (Read 12349 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Larmar leaves
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Its finally happened after long discussions. The Larmar was put into a VW van between the bulkhead and wheel arch boarding, where its 7 foot 6 inches odd fitted perfectly. So its gone, but with a far better chance of being returned to road use than if it remained with me. Another rare small car gone but I feel its for the best. Still more things to be placed in a good home. Queue Root's photographic evidence service when his clockwork Internet service is rewound.   

Come the winter I must liaise with Alaster and update records of cars attributed or previously owned by me, where I might have better intelligence. Though many just seemed to disappear into a black hole or the 'owners' refuse to admit ownership!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Larmar leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
I was going to flag up an "off topic " alert until I realised that despite its misleading title this has nothing to with British Rails latest excuses for missing punctuality figures  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
Further to that station announcement is that the next car to be fiddled with is not a RUMcar really. It is a Messerschmitt KR200. Needs to be got going and driven until someone fancies owning it, as I do not really need it. Ideal starter Schmitt. Barn find and 99% correct parts, save some MOC alternative consumables that you kind of have to live with, unless you know the inside sources. Cosmetically scruffy, but solid and will be running well when I am done. Besides I need it out of my Kitchen! Another reason for buying and modifying the Bungalow!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Please let Alastair know who you sold it to for the record

Chris Thomas

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
How about posting a picture of your recently dearly departed and lamented Larmar?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
Stuart has them. I tend not to do the picture thing since I was there when it happened.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:21 PM »
 At last, my clockwork internet has been wound up again! Anyway, at last are (a few of) the Larmar photos. This was the first time I'd seen one in daylight so I made sure I made the most of the opportunity with 50-odd photos and counting.

So, a quick tour now in four photos, around what is either the 48th, or 248th Larmar Car off the production line, depending on how the chassis numbers should be interpreted. Notice the full foot controls, unlike most of production, this one wasn't an invalid carriage...

The last time one was seen in the open? Burford NMCR, 1986...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:18:45 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 11:40:10 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Stuart.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »
So to specifics.
This is a later version. It is a car and I owned this once before and it did a few events including Bristol Classic Car Show. If you look closely, yes, it does have original painted coach lines to go with the traditional two tone colour scheme. The car is curious mix of quality and economy and I can see where Larmar, who still exist, can have become precision engineers. The car is pretty original and complete. Those panels missing will not be to hard to fabricate. The top might be more of a challange as nothing was left. On getting it out I was amazed to find the engine still turned, not least as the multiple chains driving fan, gears, starter etc looked pretty rusty. Just shows the benefit of storing things with oil chucked over everything.

Between the two ownings of this Larmar I had the other one I found, which was an Invalid Carriage version. This was the car supplied to a British buyer who converted it to have an additional pedal and sold it to Bruce Weiner. It had the honour of being the cheapest car at his recent RS Auction and is now with Jeff Lane.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
Good clear pictures of one really ugly car ! As a Gordon owner I am delighted to be eclipsed !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
Oiiiii, that's our local Essex built car your calling ugly! ;D
I have to agree though. Even I would have to choose a Gordon over a Lamar. I wont tell you why as you wouldn't like it. ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
hmmmm  ???

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Alan I do hope you have asked the new owner to put it on the Register so that it is not lost to posterity like so many other cars that you have known. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »

The last time one was seen in the open? Burford NMCR, 1986...

Last time I saw one was at the BW auction Feb 17 2013.  It got sold to Jeff Lane, so it is now still available to be seen at his museum.
It was similarly missing a panel or two.

The starter and engine look to be Petitie like- are they?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
The starter looked like a standard Lucas unit with a bendix on. The Mk C Bond offered a similar arrangement as an option extra to chopping your front structural bulkhead in half. Bonders, being practical folk, fitted a kick start and saved the cash for more Woodbines in most cases.

So you have seen the other car I owned, Steve.

Nearly got the Den sorted so I will be shortly contacting Alister to follow up his cold cases, as I will have most of the info in places where I can access it on the cold dark winter evenings.

I have a slight problem with giving out info on cars I have sold. It is really up to the buyer to decide if he wants other people to have full, part or no knowledge of, what is now, his property. I have to respect that. More so from the period of officially trading. Yet it is coming up to 7 years since I stopped trading and things from over 10 years ago can be discussed, as the official documentation can be disposed of.
There is one particular buyer who told me on no account was I to release any information on his multiple purchases. I have no  reason why, though I can guess, but ultimately its not my business and this was part of the terms of the deal. So that is that and even Roots attempts to catch me out have failed to illicit what was included. The only info is in my head. I can think of a few other cases where information would be restricted, but in most cases they are for 'normal' unusual cars.