Author Topic: Invacar Wanted, Found and Being Restored  (Read 21556 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Invacar Wanted
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »
Remember to push down on the handle bars to brake.
Pushing your foot on the bulkhead makes very little difference to braking.  It feels like it should though.

I think this is one of the reasons they only allowed disabled drivers, preferably with no legs,  to drive these  :(

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 06:28:42 PM »
Sounds like the American Pickers was the Ian Hellings one. If so there was an Iso floating about too. His take on the whole thing was quite amuzing.

Yep, IC were painted as often as they were washed. Much of the damage for and aft was caused by stone age comedians thinking they were the first to have the idea of moving these small cars somewhere daft, ignoring that the 'owner' was invalid. I myself have helped a guy in Bristol retrieve his Type 70 from the middle of a roundabout. The same thing used to happen to microcars, including Faringdon, until I smacked one of the said comedians in the face. He did not find that very funny and his mates all ran away. Of course now I would go to prison for standing up for myself. But at the time the town received the message and understood. Leave the cars alone or suffer the consequences.

It must be said that some of the folk who had the IC were not that good at driving, and of course it was not their car. If they had a fail, they just got given another one. So reference baiting IC drivers. Not a good idea, as once issued with a type 70, they had the means of retribution, could catch up miscreants and drive into them full in the knowledge they had a nice new IC waiting at the agents. Disabled one, able bodied 0. I have heard that tale from several disabled folk.

Like I say these iIC are more than interesting cars, they are social history, if you bother to listen to folk talk.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
So the little cars doing well, body all repaired and in primer ready for paint, hopefully next week.

I got my seat back from the trimmers, looks good, hopefully will suit the car when it's all done.

I'm after the original as possible outside look but a nice cream and black interior. I want it clean but slightly modern/up to date too.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 11:25:52 PM »
I know it's not, but it does look good as a grey convertible!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
You know when things are becoming collectable when owners start presenting them in a better state than that which they were in use during their heyday.  This is far to good a finish. The Government just slapped another load of paint over the top.

Its a moot point, but with a good finish the cars do have style to show off. Get passed the familiarity and see them as fresh eyes will, and they stand up better than some more desirable cars for looks. So now some owners are going to prove this, producing well presented cars.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Fraz13

• Occasional
Re: Invacar Wanted, Found and Being Restored
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
I was advised not to restore it and just use it as is as the money I would need to put into it would be more than what it's worth. He was right, I have spent more than that so far but I don't plan on moving it on anytime soon. So I doubt many will restore these as yet because it's just worth it at the moment. I want to show mine at as many Scottish shows as the weather will allow this year. I know it would still get plenty attention as there just not seen anymore but I'd rather it was nice and shiny. Mine had 6 layers of paint and after taking it all off the amount of damage to the body says that every crack made, they painted the whole car again.
It's now back in its shiny blue so won't be long before it's built back up again.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
Looks really good. The dull finish of the standard Gov car never made these look anything as good as they could have been. Money spent. I would say its a long term investment, its not going to loose money like many things you can buy. Be that as it may, we all have the right to overspend on things, that is why its a hobby.

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »
I've been busy, wee cars fair coming on.

Since last post I've taken all the masking off, fitted the boot, bonnet, roof, all glass, door handles, rear lights, new crystal angel eye headlights, clear LED indicators and number plates. Still a few little jobs still to do like new rubber flooring, door rubbers and paint and fit the new wheels and tyres.

Hope you like.

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »
First drive since the body restoration. From the body shop to the mechanics. Somethings not right, I managed around 5mph lol I assume brakes stuck or carb needing cleaned. Revved fun but struggled to move.

Look at my happy wee face haha

Fraz13

• Occasional
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
Ok last post as its a good one.

Wee car flew it's MOT with no advisories on Thursday.

Insured it for £55 per yer with 3 drivers and 3000 mile limit.

Taxed it as historic so it was free.

So it's now one of very few actually on the road which is an amazing feeling.

Took it to its first show yesterday and it got an outstanding thumbs up from everyone.

Anyway, once again, a huge thanks to Stuart For helping me find the car.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
Great result - hopefully we'll see a few more of these around as time goes on.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
Love that , well done !

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
"Took it to its first show yesterday and it got an outstanding thumbs up from everyone."

Now that it is taxed, road worthy and being taken to shows, please contact Alastair Lauchland and add it to the Register of Unusual Microcars.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars