Author Topic: Bond on the road  (Read 6069 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Bond on the road
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »
Quite shocked to find the engine started first time on my Bond this weekend, this being my very first engine rebuild and it being 35 years+ since the engine was last run. Adrian Flux Insurance didn't even mention an MOT until I asked them and they said it made no difference with my car and that it certainly didn't need one for them to cover it. Agreed value insurance was £98 with the only restriction being it has to be garaged if parked within half a mile of my house. I'm now wondering whether to get rid of my other car and use the Bond full time!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bond on the road
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Grand looking car and isn't it great to find an insurance company in the know! I hope the £98 agreed insurance was the cost and not the value of the car? Happy motoring, summer's coming. Cor, am I jealous  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Well done it looks nice , let's hope for a great summer eh. Hope I am joining you soon
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:36:51 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
Well done Malcolm. Nice colour as well.

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
Nice looking Bond Malcolm.
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
Can I say this Bond SUKs!  ;D

If you have no need of a modern give it a try. Bonders used to happily do so with a certain selection of parts and ready to fit sub-assemblies on the shelf. Its a great experience and you realize while all these modern gadgets are nice, they are not necessary most of the time. Poor old Richard needs them, and I bet his boss will not let him have what he would really like.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I think the Bond would be fine for most things except perhaps the rigours of our staff car parks! I don't think I'd want to fit it with rubber bumpers.
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »
Fit it with emery paper trimmed bumpers and skirts. Any poor piloting will rub off paint that then can be matched to the offending car and the driver can then be invited to pay for the damage or have Stan and the 'Flexator boys' come round with there pop-riveted knuckledusters and two stroke boarding equipment.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
First drive up and down the road today. Found gears, but then couldn't find neutral and then visa versa. Brakes lights come on, but are more reluctant to go off, brakes themselves seem to be more than somewhat tentative although the handbrake is fine. A bit more fettling required!
Malcolm

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
I've said it before Malcolm but I really like the colour of that car!
RE the brakes, have you relined the shoes? If so they will take a little while to bed in but even when they have, don't expect much. If you are not used to driving old microcars and get out of a modern car straight into a Bond MkC it will feel like the brakes are non existent! Its a whole new driving style!

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
Thanks Bob. Yes, its got new shoes all around - wish there weren't quite as many hills in this area at least till I can get used to it. I think the car was irritated at not making it to the Bond Rally as yesterday was the first time it wouldn't start!
Malcolm

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
Lovely! Just spent the evening doing bodywork on my mk d project. Should the dashboard be painted or covered in hardura? Also, any tips on the windscreen rubber? Mine is missing, so no pattern to work to..thanks

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »
The Deluxe cars originally had leathercloth on the dash which generally seems to have matched the colour of the sidescreens and the hood, but personally I think it looks better without. My windscreen was sound, but I'm sure someone mentioned that the rubber surround and filler strip were both available from Bond Spares. Can't really help with the critical dimensions, but it'll look something along the lines of the patterns on page 83 -84 of this Baines catalogue.

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/pdfs/catalogue_compressed.pdf
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
Brakes, yep they need to bed in. But also worth being certain all play is eliminated from the system and that it has free movement. With minimal power no additional friction can be allowed and while the brakes might be considered crap they are adequate for the car in good order. The issue is other drivers taking your braking space, as they do not understand not everything has turbo terrific ABS brakes.

It is well worth exploring the limit of the brakes in a quiet place so as to know the parameters of safety. Likewise the handling. With good tyres Bonds can be better than you might think. Again knowing the parameters mean you can press on with more confidence and that slight bit of aggression will be picked up by many other road users who will automatically respond by giving you a bit more respect, making driving and progress a bit easier. Look weak and many will try bullying the smaller car.