Author Topic: Request for photographs  (Read 3744 times)

Alastair

• Chatty
Request for photographs
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
Hello all
First of all an introduction since I've recently changed my usename from Millstone to Alastair. For those that don't know me under either name, I'm the Registrar for RUM.
Over the last two issues of RCN I've appealed to owners of cars on the Register to send me photographs of their cars. In the face of apathy and criticism I'm trying to make the Register more relevant to those that haven't registered their cars by building up a photographic archive. I'm therefore keen to add old or new photographs of cars on the Register, for the benefit of present and future owners. Personally I find it fascinating looking at how the cars we own have been used (and abused) in the past. There's nothing more fascinating than receiving photographs of a basket case only to see it transformed a few years later.
Unfortunately my appeals via RCN resulted in a grand total of 4 people responding!
Ill health since mid January has "grounded" me from physical work so I used the "opportunity" to set too and go through all my old rally photographs, laboriously checking registration numbers on cars against those in the Register database. As a result I've probably added a couple of hundred photos to the relevant vehicle files.
It's been slow work but it's probably kept me sane at a time I can do little else.
What I'd like to appeal for is:
1. Can any owner of a car on the Register send me photos of their car, ideally with an idea of date it was taken.
2. Can any reader of this appeal send me rally photos (again with date if possible) so that I can trawl through them and pick out "Register" cars.
I'm happy to receive photos in any format. I'll take as many as you care to send. If they are in digital format they can be sent by email if it's only a few, or burned to a disc or sent on a memory stick. I'm happy to return photos, discs or sticks at my own expense if you include a note of your postal address.
Almost 1300 cars have been registered with RUM since 1980. There must be more than 4 owners willing and able to assist in the creation of what I hope will be a valuable asset to the Register and the microcar world at large.
I know it's Easter. I know the sun is shining - but please help. My contact details are in the "Links and Contact Details section of the site.

Thanks
Alastair

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Request for photographs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »
Alastair

You are welcome to look through my files. 
I have tried to file the photos using the registration number where possible
You should be able to use the reg number in the search criteria and find any related photos.  Not all have the correct file name yet.
Sorry - you can't search in the dropbox folder but I can on my computer.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e1yjjhoup4okxcn/3PWvlyeVmJ

Barry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:23:15 PM by Barry »

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
Hi Barry

Many thanks I'm sure I'm bound to add a few to the archive from your enormous album.

Alastair

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
Hi Barry
Well, over the last couple of days I've worked my way through your album cross referencing registration numbers with the database and I've managed to add 88 photographs of 50 different cars on the Register. Of these 50 cars, 8 had no previous photographs on file.
I'd call that a good result. I now have photos of 8 cars that had previously been anonymous and the others now have additional photos from different periods added to their file.
Well done Barry!
Anyone else care to join in?

Alastair   

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
Thanks Alastair and I appreciate the great work you are doing.

I started collecting the photos some time ago and filing them on Dropbox which is available to all. 
I hoped that anyone could contribute to the collection from their archives.
Easier for the masses to contribute directly rather than just one person try to administer it all.
I wanted to dig out photos never seen before from years gone by.  Using registration numbers to link the cars through time - where possible..

Unfortunately there seemed to be a bit of resistance:-

1. Giving out registration numbers.
2. Loading dropbox onto home computers - virus and security.  (Dropbox is practically an industry standard these days).
3. Some people wanted to see more technical information - most of the photos can be found on the web (but not all in one place!)
4. fear of filing photos in the wrong place or with the wrong identity / make.

I gave up the idea of others contributing and just carried on collecting whatever I found.
There are plenty of mistakes in my filing as I am not an expert by any means - It is good to be corrected and learn.
I would still be very happy to receive photos from peoples archive and share them with contributors to Rumcars forum.

If anyone wants to contribute photos I would be very pleased.

Keep up the good work at your end

Barry

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
I will send what I have next weel when I get home
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
Here is the updated picture of our Frisky with the new Wheel Disks, Spinners ( Thank You Grant) and new White Wall Tyres!! What a different look
1958 FriskySport

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:07 PM »
Nice , very nice. This was alastairs spot of course where he asked us to get in touch with him with ANY pictures of our car , taken at ANY period of it's life so far . I recently did send him pictures and received back pictures he had of it whilst Tony and Malcolm owned it . This was of course why a pictorial history was wanted . Please help him/ and yourself by letting him have and attach a few rough dates i.e. Taken in mid 80's before I got it or taken mid 90's whilst under restoration
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:14:07 AM »
Thanks Richard. I have sent pictures of our car to Alastair so he could add them to his files. I think it would be nice to be able to see the other cars even if no names of who owned them are listed with the pictures.
1958 FriskySport