Author Topic: FADING LIGHT  (Read 2047 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
FADING LIGHT
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
Any ideas anyone ? how to speed up the process of fading a pale orange plastic lens through to clear - i.e. is it possible with UV or whatever ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: FADING LIGHT
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Strange I had thought that al or someone else could provide a devilish clever method
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:30 AM »
Hi Richard.

The problem with fading coloured plastic is that it's actually damaging the plastic. Sticking it under a UV light might speed up the degradation, but you're also likely to make the lens more brittle or possibly even cause it to crack.
You could experiment using RTV Silicone Rubber to make a two part mould from the original and then try casting a clear reproduction in Polyurethane Resin. It might sound unlikely, and I've never tried it myself, but lots of people in recent years have been using this method to duplicate car bodies and other small parts for slot cars and modern casting resins can get quite close to an injection moulded part in strength and finish.

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
I have always fought to get the orange or red back. Unless the lens is coated with lacquer or painted it will be within the structure of the plastic and as suggested I think it is effectively aged plastic. Experience shows that is brittle. I have cleaned out lenses with Acetone but it is a nasty chemical and it will attack the plastic if left to soak. That was converting KR200 sidelights from navigation lights.

3D computer printing?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
Thanks both that's another project - just had a peek at ebay and all the materials are available - I think a visit to a good local model shop might be called for as well - great