Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379239 times)

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
Re: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?
« Reply #345 on: March 25, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »
Hi there! I have been reading this thread with great interest. If this is your first build then I must take my hat off too you. I would have expected a hair dresser to lean more towards the arts rather than the sciences (just goes to show that pigeon holing types just does not follow). I too like yourself am fascinated by these small cars. I have been into microcars (and owned a few over the years) for some time but the smaller they are the more I am fascinated. I commissioned Alan Evans to build a P50 for me about 6 weeks ago and he is in the third week of its build (it will be a road legal one as I do intend to use it). Real ones are so far out of reach financially even if you could find one so this seams like a good option of owning something vaguely similar that one does not need to feel frightened to drive because of it value and collectability. I would have loved to have gone the route you have taken (self build) but the MSVA (?) always puts me off. You are so close to putting yours through the test. No doubt we shall bump into each other at a show/rally somewhere. Keep up the good work - I am looking forward to reading about your Trident build next. Regards, Paul
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:31:11 PM by 1bubble10 »
Bamby P50, Piaggio Ape 50

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:35 PM »
Thanks for the interest Paul , I did speak to Alan last week and we were talking about your peel, I'm taking mine up to see him so he can give me pointers on what bits I've missed for the test , but if they fail it I will just fix what they fail it on and go for a retest , if your near hertfordshire come and have a look, I've been doing a few more bits today , mainly wiring , brake lines fitted, petrol tank filled up and it hasn't leaked yet even the gauge works , fired it up for the first time in months

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
Sorry to butt in, this is the P50 I owned in 1976. Best wishes with both of your efforts to have road going vehicles. I had a lot of fun with mine as I'm sure you will with yours. Now to start saving up for one of Alans P50s.  ;D

Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »
Hi rob , are you going to be at the open day again this year? Was the original p50 a noisy thing to drive? I was running mine earlier thinking if a 2 stroke might of suited it better than this vibrating 4 stroke noise

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:10 PM »
From all the reading I have done on the P50, noisy they are because of the closeness of the engine to the driver and probably the lack of any sound insulation (the latter could be addressed to improve slightly). I have never been inside an original or replica P50 but I am expecting to have to invest in some ear plugs once I have taken delivery of mine).

I perhaps will venture your way to admire your handy work in the flesh once the weather warms up - where in Hertfordshire are you?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #350 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
Hi rob , are you going to be at the open day again this year? Was the original p50 a noisy thing to drive? I was running mine earlier thinking if a 2 stroke might of suited it better than this vibrating 4 stroke noise

Hi Steve,
As I haven't driven a car since 2009 I find it difficult to get to Jeans with out a lift.
Will try to get there somehow.

How noisy in a two stroke P50? After 39 years I can't really remember, except I am going deaf in my right ear! The little 49cc engine was always screaming when I drove it, mostly at a top speed of 40mph, (no speedo), so following motorists used to tell me. There was a lot of second gear motoring to get up some of the hills plus 1st to get up a nasty long windy 10% (1 in 10) hill on the Alfriston to Seaford, Sussex country road. I always had the side window open even on cold days as I smoked then and couldn't really see out. Some evenings I used to go out for a drive of 35 miles just for the fun of it, coming back home with pins and needles in my hands through trying to hang on to the steering wheel. Great fun in 1976.

I wonder if Alan would lease me one of his new P50s at a fiver a week? Dream on stupid boy! 

Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #351 on: March 26, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »
That's nuts Rob! Well you can have ago in mine if you like !

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
Wires wires wires

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #353 on: April 02, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »
Steve.

You should buy that horn on ebay for your trident. It's NOS, but I'm sure at £400 it won't sell.
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #354 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
No chance Im going to spend less than a 10er and be well happy with it

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
First show this Sunday ,pistons in the park if any ones interested, Added a bolt meter today

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »
I looked that up Steve. Classics and Supercars. I wonder which category they will put a Peel rep into? ;D Either way I wouldn't mind guessing your beastie will steal quite a bit of attention away from those supercars! If I wasnt doing the Scientific instrument fair I would have popped over to offer support.  Have a good one.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »
I went last year with the peel and people just park any where , no judging just a simple car show for a couple of hours , loads of really nice cars turned up , I parked next to a bloke in a lambo and he got the hump and moved saying don't know why people are interested in abit of plastic haha , actually I've had that comment a few times at shows

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »
It's a shame that people feel they have to be that way (the reaction makes me think it is envy - not necessarily of the car, but of the attention it demands). I shall definitely be there so will be looking out for you. It really is looking like it is coming together well now - love the bros beach buggy too!!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:12:17 AM by 1bubble10 (paul smith) »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
Why do most people buy a Lambo, if it is not to get noticed. Then they get upstaged by a cheaper 'low quality' car. This has been one reason Microcars were kept out of car shows so long. They used to steal the show for pounds. Bit more dosh now, but they still do so.
The supercar world is a very false place. Many of them are, frankly, appalling cars. But if your customer base has bad taste, and to much money, what do you expect. Interesting near a supercar owner with taste, and one of the good cars, and your much more likely to get some conversation, as they guy thought about his purchase. Like the Ultima driver who choose to park next to the Norsja. Add the Jag and it was the most popular corner of the car park, each car throwing the other's into contrast.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs