Author Topic: Frisky Problem, any suggestions ?  (Read 11730 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Frisky Problem, any suggestions ?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
a warning here ! the question was tongue in cheek , like Grants . there is absolutely no way this is ever going to unsieze this has become i piece .

Oh yea of little faith. I have rebuilt a Goggo 400cc engine that was buried for 14 years in a Dutch bog amongst other nasty looking corroded lumps of machinery. It sold very well.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
Getting a bit off topic, but this reminded me of a story about a buried Harley I came across a while back.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/harley-davidson-liberator-ww2-buried.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
you are off topic though !

well i never !
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:44:02 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »
Great story! Shame it wasnt a Brough!

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »
The expensive but best penetrating stuff I have found is Wurth Rostoff. This tends to be a trade product so you might need to get a chum with a garage to buy it. It is 10 times as good as things like WD40. It is more expensive and I keep it for special situations. Ultimate attack is a day or so of working Wurth in then into the vat of diesel for a few weeks. Most things move after that, though really noshed piston/barrels and such where there is electrolytic corrosion and/or damage are often to resistant to move without force.

The penetrating oil that I have immense success with is Kano-Lab's Kroil.  Expensive again, but just a few drops, a little tap in an hour, and things come loose.  If they do not then repeat again.  It is amazing. If it doesn't work then the heat is the only alternative.  Never tried it on pistons/rings, but may work.  Even on surface rust if it sits, then with some wet/dry 600, things sparkle.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
Never heard of that one, Ian. Maybe restricted to the Americas. There used to be an excellent Plus Gas product but it seems to have disappeared. THat smelled the similar to Wurth. Better than using light fish oil!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »
A guy I worked with who was a proper curmudgeon (which in this one instance I think is a good attribute) reckoned that diesel was the best freeing agent of all and his speciality was old boat trailers so some of those have rust that borders on an art form.  He thought Plus-Gas was like round-ended scissors - ideal for children and those of a sensitive disposition.

I've never tried diesel but keep meaning to.  I can't see why it would work better than dedicated freeing oils, but it might - curmudgeon-approval does not come lightly.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »
A guy I worked with who was a proper curmudgeon (which in this one instance I think is a good attribute) reckoned that diesel was the best freeing agent of all and his speciality was old boat trailers so some of those have rust that borders on an art form.  He thought Plus-Gas was like round-ended scissors - ideal for children and those of a sensitive disposition.

I've never tried diesel but keep meaning to.  I can't see why it would work better than dedicated freeing oils, but it might - curmudgeon-approval does not come lightly.

And diesel is way cheaper than all of the spray cans of WD40 stuff!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
Diesel has the ability to creep into gaps like a light oil. It only works if used to soak really. The idea of treating an assembly with an expensive proprietary treatment and later putting it in the vat of diesel is more to keep the expensive stuff moist while in reasonable concentration to do its stuff then expect the diesel itself to do the important penetrating. Lesser, might come apart bits' or not so rusty things, I pitch in just as it does no harm to take a chance or make a job easy. Cheaper than lots of fish oil given interesting names and codes like WD40. Each product has its place of merit.