Author Topic: Nice old film, but is it a micro?  (Read 4272 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Nice old film, but is it a micro?
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've seen this car before,but not the video. Is it classed as a micro? Looks it, but back looks qute ong compared to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI1D-Kv0jV0&feature=related
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Nice old film, but is it a micro?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
And why is this so similar to a goggo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUIiyOX2sCA&feature=related

It even has the African Face Mask! My dad puts cans of soup in there so its nice and warm for the rallies!
Mopeds:

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
The mikrus is quite well known and is in Julian Nowill's excellent book "eastern European Cars". Deffo a micro in my opinion! It also has possibly the daftest arrangement for a front opening door: side hinged is fine, roof hinged shelters you, bottom hinge lets rain and snow in and makes entering and exiting very awkward, and for those reasons I LIKE it! (Nuts!)

The other one may have been inspired by Goggos, but in reality the layout of the chassis and mechanical components, and the need for cheap tooling often has more bearing on the look of a car than copying another company's design. Look at Kaiser, Hillman, Standard and Fords of that era and they all have quite a similar shape.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
The mikrus is quite well known and is in Julian Nowill's excellent book "eastern European Cars". Deffo a micro in my opinion! It also has possibly the daftest arrangement for a front opening door: side hinged is fine, roof hinged shelters you, bottom hinge lets rain and snow in and makes entering and exiting very awkward, and for those reasons I LIKE it! (Nuts!)

The other one may have been inspired by Goggos, but in reality the layout of the chassis and mechanical components, and the need for cheap tooling often has more bearing on the look of a car than copying another company's design. Look at Kaiser, Hillman, Standard and Fords of that era and they all have quite a similar shape.

Hmmm. I recognised the first, but not the second car!

I guess quite a lot of cars used the same components. Even the Mini Comtesse uses a schmitt neutral selectorr trigger!

Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »
The Smyk is a rare thing and I have never seen a real one. I actually quite like it. The Mikrus looks quite reasonable but is a great disappointment as though it has a 300cc engine it is heavy and does not perform well. The quality of the steel is low and it is perhaps the worst of the Goggo derivatives if you happen to like cheese, as I do, which means the AWS Piccola/Shopper is acceptable styling. In 250cc form this also suffers from excess weight but with a bit of tweaking, an engine swop and a few mods Mine did 48 miles to work a day in fine form over a winter. The Mikrus would need the 400cc unit and all the problems that brings. Be very interesting to drive a Spanish 350cc and I love Uwe's van.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs