Author Topic: Sports Seats and Torpedo Lights...........  (Read 3947 times)

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
Sports Seats and Torpedo Lights...........
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
I am looking to get the work done on my KR200 in order to bring it up to A1 condition, and wonder if other Schmitters out there would be able to answer a couple of questions. The first being around the fitment of the  "sports" style drivers seat in the KR200. I struggle with the standard seat in my car, finding it reasonably comfortable but a little narrow,  I tend to slide off it when cornering on the vinyl covering and am thus considering fitment of the more body hugging sports seat available from the MOC. Has anyone had experience of these in their KR200's? is there any real benefit in terms of comfort?

Secondly, the previous owner of my schmitt turned the red torpedo lights at the back into flashing indicators.... which is all well and good, but often mistaken by other following cars as brake lights. I am thus considering converting these to amber, or clear to include a new style LED cluster which fits the light housing perfectly and combines indicators/ brake and tail lights http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm. Having seen broadly similar conversions in the past, I wonder if anyone could inform of lenses which fit the torpedo light housing? I did consider mini indicator light lenses however these protrude too much, despite being quite in keeping.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:24:00 PM by DrewS »
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Sports Seats and Torpedo Lights...........
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
I am looking to get the work done on my KR200 in order to bring it up to A1 condition, and wonder if other Schmitters out there would be able to answer a couple of questions. The first being around the fitment of the  "sports" style drivers seat in the KR200. I struggle with the standard seat in my car, finding it reasonably comfortable but a little narrow,  I tend to slide off it when cornering on the vinyl covering and am thus considering fitment of the more body hugging sports seat available from the MOC. Has anyone had experience of these in their KR200's? is there any real benefit in terms of comfort?

Secondly, the previous owner of my schmitt turned the red torpedo lights at the back into flashing indicators.... which is all well and good, but often mistaken by other following cars as brake lights. I am thus considering converting these to amber, or clear to include a new style LED cluster which fits the light housing perfectly and combines indicators/ brake and tail lights http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm. Having seen broadly similar conversions in the past, I wonder if anyone could inform of lenses which fit the torpedo light housing? I did consider mini indicator light lenses however these protrude too much, despite being quite in keeping.

Hi,

Well, you can get TG500 sport seats, since there where a few TG sports made, and still existing.

Secondly, why dont you wire the lights normally?  Just swap around the cables on the light and the black box. You can easily find wiring diagrams on the MOC site (or MEC?)

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »

I am not sure who will make Tiger seats next. Russell Church made a batch pretty accurately but found it a lot of work and for what ever reason the margin he obtained was not enough to encourage him to go for a second order. I think was in part because he made a so called Sport seat which is effectively a Tiger seat without the complex lifting mechanism beneath it. The same trim kit fits, covers probably available via at least two sources, and the seat is lower. It still slides on the runners. These will be made again. However there are probably spare seats out there as there were earlier versions of the Tiger seat and Schmitt owners are quite picky and happy to uprate to something they see as a better item. Russ is building a house at the moment so it will be spring at least before a new batch Sport seats will be mooted. I might be able to get one in part ex for the standard seat for you.
As to comfort, best to try someone else's seat. It is a personal thing. Hopefully a suitable car will be at the National which I think you indicated you might attend.

In respect of the rear lights. I do not know if there is an orange tinted lense to fit the torpedo lights but there is a clear Hella lens specifically for the original light unit. Given an orange bulb this will work. Indeed if you were cunning you could run a double bulb holder and have red tail and orange indicator behind this lense. Sadly I do not have any of these lenses, or indeed torpedo bits, but since in Germany the light is popularly used with them I am sure someone will have a pair of the clear lenses.

Hope that helps.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 01:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I will be thoroughly thinking all options through before undertaking anything. I have seen a few KR200's with the sports and tiger seats and feel that they would be more suitable for longer trips, which I plan on doing.
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I will be thoroughly thinking all options through before undertaking anything. I have seen a few KR200's with the sports and tiger seats and feel that they would be more suitable for longer trips, which I plan on doing.

Well, they feel nicer, and they where an original extra, just like on your schmitt, tiger nose.
Mopeds:

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Very true Jonathan the sports seats were an optional extra on the KR200, and fitting one to mine would be in keeping with the tiger image! Incidentally, whilst the Tiger nose was an option in the late 50s and very early 60s , mine was produced in the last months of production in 1963 and these noses were fitted to standard cars to use up parts stocks (or so I'm informed)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »
Very true Jonathan the sports seats were an optional extra on the KR200, and fitting one to mine would be in keeping with the tiger image! Incidentally, whilst the Tiger nose was an option in the late 50s and very early 60s , mine was produced in the last months of production in 1963 and these noses were fitted to standard cars to use up parts stocks (or so I'm informed)

Well, I don't know about that, maybe, but definitally not til lthe end of production, since we just picked up one of the last krs made, maybe last week production. Its not ours, but were restoring it.
Mopeds:

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
aah but whoever knows whats original ? possibly way back the seat was changed for a standard one - possibly someone told him it was wrong . and you cant trust peoples memories its all so long ago .
i am amazed how many people have sworn to me that their heinkel door opened and the wheel came out with it ! either they forgot or had a BMW. just proves you cannot be sure of anything  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977