Author Topic: The Return of the King  (Read 7451 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
The Return of the King
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
 Well now, things have been occurring round here, with two new additions to the ranks. A few days ago arrived the World's Worst Ariel 3, literally thrown at my door from a passing Transit because the owner was ashamed to be seen with it. I've already announced that it will be laying siege to the Concours de Grot trophy at the forthcoming National (One day I'm GONNA win it!!!!).  Be there & see it in action.   :)   If you're lucky you might even get an advance preview of its ghastliness at the Farm a few weeks from now....

And then today, yet another blue thing arrived, respendent with MoT.  For the first time in a decade I have a roadworthy car capable of more than 20mph  :o  & yes, it's my main transport once the insurance comes through. Don't believe me? watch this space because you're going to be hearing rather a lot more about this...   ;)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: The Return of the King
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
More of an Ariel Free then. Actually I had worked out that this engine would go in a Peel shell using the larger carb from Holland. Not perhaps ideal for road use but it would get round a rally or whatever. Time was Pride and Clark were selling off excess stock new engines at £2.99 in Exchange and Mart, the eBay of its time.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
Well now, things have been occurring round here, with two new additions to the ranks. A few days ago arrived the World's Worst Ariel 3, literally thrown at my door from a passing Transit because the owner was ashamed to be seen with it. I've already announced that it will be laying siege to the Concours de Grot trophy at the forthcoming National (One day I'm GONNA win it!!!!).  Be there & see it in action.   :)   If you're lucky you might even get an advance preview of its ghastliness at the Farm a few weeks from now....

And then today, yet another blue thing arrived, respendent with MoT.  For the first time in a decade I have a roadworthy car capable of more than 20mph  :o  & yes, it's my main transport once the insurance comes through. Don't believe me? watch this space because you're going to be hearing rather a lot more about this...   ;)

Free? Expensive compared to (one of) my dads old heinkels, he pulled it away, and the lady gave him 5£ towards the resto!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Time was Pride and Clark were selling off excess stock new engines at £2.99 in Exchange and Mart,

Ah, Stockwell Road, Brixton. First and last time I went there was in 1963. Such a suprise to see most of the shops in the road painted red. I wonder what happened to Pride and Clark? Also anyone know what happened to Two Strokes, the bubblecar and Reliant dealer? I got some free Peel spares from them for free in 1976.
Happy Days.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:11:31 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
Got the bargain of the year in 1976 .....  One Peel P50 at £10, second Peel P50 free!  ;D

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »
Time was Pride and Clark were selling off excess stock new engines at £2.99 in Exchange and Mart,

Ah, Stockwell Road, Brixton. First and last time I went there was in 1963. Such a suprise to see most of the shops in the road painted red. I wonder what happened to Pride and Clark? Also anyone know what happened to Two Strokes, the bubblecar and Reliant dealer? I got some free Peel spares from them for free in 1976.
Happy Days.  ;D

No microcars, but Pride & Clarks distinctive premises featured in the film Blow Up  - see this clip at about 7:23 http://youtu.be/E9FckbRxiaM

There's also a piece about them here http://www.realclassic.co.uk/opinionfiles/opinion07053100.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »
Pride and Clark see

http://www.motorcyclekb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/uk-classic/323/Question-Pride-And-Clark-What-Happened-To-Them

I got a free rat with one of the Schmitts I bought off Jeremy Walker's. Does that count?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
A Rat Trike, Aye?  ;D

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »
[No microcars, but Pride & Clarks distinctive premises featured in the film Blow Up  - see this clip at about 7:23 http://youtu.be/E9FckbRxiaM

At 7:27, then passing Pride & Clarks again at 7:37 and again at7:41 I think. There is a bit of 1960s trickery. But what would you give to wander those streets for an hour?
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Pride and Clark see

http://www.motorcyclekb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/uk-classic/323/Question-Pride-And-Clark-What-Happened-To-Them

I got a free rat with one of the Schmitts I bought off Jeremy Walker's. Does that count?

I think I can beat that, I went to buy a schmitt down in the west Country some years back and a badger was living in it!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »

Stuart, at last our tastes merge, I like Ariel 3's. I'm looking for one at the mo. Prices have rocketed!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
[No microcars, but Pride & Clarks distinctive premises featured in the film Blow Up  - see this clip at about 7:23 http://youtu.be/E9FckbRxiaM

At 7:27, then passing Pride & Clarks again at 7:37 and again at7:41 I think. There is a bit of 1960s trickery. But what would you give to wander those streets for an hour?

I couldn't agree more.  Oh for a time machine.  It's fantastic looking at 60's London.  My dad would have been 20. My Trident brand new.  

No yellow lines. No congestion.  The cars and architecture are interesting.  The Cloud 3 MPW drophead is utter class.  

Oh well.  Better to enjoy today than observe London when I was minus 4 years old!

Also check out a photo I've dug out.  It's a Mk1 Scootacar on London Bridge. Fantastic pic.  It has a similar reg number as mine.  Mine came from Wilsons of Stockwell.  Were they near P&C?

No the Scoot doesn’t live. I've checked the reg. Or the Mini.  But the BSA bike does..

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:34:06 PM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
No congestion in 1960's London?!!  Oh the innocence of youth!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
No congestion in 1960's London?!!  Oh the innocence of youth!

Err you have a point there.  Doesn't look too good!
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:07 PM »

Stuart, at last our tastes merge, I like Ariel 3's. I'm looking for one at the mo. Prices have rocketed!
[/quote]

You will want a Norsjka then! It can play with the mopeds as it has a Sachsonette engine in it. Had loads of Ariel 3 but yes they have got a bit more expensive these days. They go very well in there own way.