Author Topic: How to repair a schmitt steering wheel?  (Read 2405 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
How to repair a schmitt steering wheel?
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »
Hello,

While sorting bits up in the barn upstairs, we came across a couple of broken schmitt steering wheels...

They are not bent or anything, but chunks of plastic/rubber or whatever there made from are missing.

Has anyone ever repaired this before? My dad was thinking of using Araldite, then (sturggling) to sand it down to a nice neat shape.

I did see this http://www.messerschmittclub.org/karoscene/?q=node/244 but its more for cracks, not missing chunks!

I have attached a pic (edited pic) just to show you what I mean. I took the pic from the site I linked you to, and then just rubbed out the bit we are missing.

- Jonathan -
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: How to repair a schmitt steering wheel?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
I repaired mine with PC7, you must use something slightly flexible to match the hard rubber that they are made from, for filling a big missing chunk you would be best off building it up in layers.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:17:51 AM »
See back number of Take Off which has a full item about just such a restoration. It maybe seen on KaRoScene, the MEC website, at www.messerschmittclub.org. If you are not a member you can now take out an internet membership for just £5.00 a year. This is especially handy for Schmitters abroad.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
See back number of Take Off which has a full item about just such a restoration. It maybe seen on KaRoScene, the MEC website, at www.messerschmittclub.org. If you are not a member you can now take out an internet membership for just £5.00 a year. This is especially handy for Schmitters abroad.

Do you know which issue? My dad probably has it, since he used to be the editor of it.

Jonathan
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
i think jonathon was right in the first place . you cant beat a bit of sturggling  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
You are possibly in luck. I was wrong it was in Messerschmitt Pilot magazine which may still be downloadable from the same website. If not you will have to join as there are hardly any printed copies in circulation.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs