Author Topic: Top twenty list of Britains rarest cars  (Read 4219 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Top twenty list of Britains rarest cars
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Dear Rumsters

Just looked at Top Gear list of rarest cars in UK and they say that two are Microcars. The Reliant Rebel with 20 cars left and the Honda Z600 with 17 left. All the others are either exotica or stuff people have thrown away like Lada's ( The Morris Ital was not mentioned)

I think we can come up with a much rarer list starting with the : -

Allard Clipper,
BSA Ladybird
Coronet
Enfield
Frisky sprint
Gordon
Impala
Larmar
Mink
Nobel
Opperman Stirling
Powerdrive
Quasar Unipower
Rytecraft
Scootacar Mk I
Tici
Tourette

and that is just the british cars

But can we put numbers left in the UK to the cars?

Chris Thomas

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Top twenty list of Britains rarest cars
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »
 The Larmar numbers between four & six known, & all bar one are still in the UK, with the odd one out being in America.

The Mink was but a one-off anyway. (?)

Three Allard Clipper's know (or rightly, two & a half) Two in the UK & one in Automuseum Storey.

Tourette's, three originals certainly in existance, possiblitiee of a fourth from overheard gossip. One replica. All in UK.

Gordon's, is it six around?

Ladybird, two made, one certainly still around. I still reckon I know what happened to the other one but person I have in the frame will not confim or dis-confirm!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
The Larmar numbers between four & six known, & all bar one are still in the UK, with the odd one out being in America.

The Mink was but a one-off anyway. (?)

Three Allard Clipper's know (or rightly, two & a half) Two in the UK & one in Automuseum Storey.

Tourette's, three originals certainly in existance, possiblitiee of a fourth from overheard gossip. One replica. All in UK.

Gordon's, is it six around?

Ladybird, two made, one certainly still around. I still reckon I know what happened to the other one but person I have in the frame will not confim or dis-confirm!

Or was it five Ladybirds?

Opperman was not productionised and one was destroyed in a crash.

Tici?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
Dear Al

Tici, Not really a Microcar as it has a mini engine. But Tony has a soft spot for them. They are really a kit car, I included it just to annoy Bob.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
surely only 2 ladybirds ? - both quite different . thought it was 5 Gordons, i must be behind the times . only 1 LHD Bond A  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:01:40 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »
surely only 2 ladybirds ? - both quite different . thught it was 5 Gordons, i must be behind the times . only 1 LHD Bond A  ;D

There was a tale of an order for a Caribbean Island hotel. Some evidence was turned up by MIck Leeson that three Ladybird type machines were possible created, possible sent out but then nothing. I can recall a couple of very poor pictures to back the story. There was a differance but I cannot recall what, engine?
Can we replace Tici with Crayfords 5 microcars? That was a production of short duration rather than a prototype and it is not a Lawil/Willam. As Dave insists on telling me, they are nearly Trojan's as Crayford was set up by two ex Trojan employees.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
What about the Bonnallack Minnow?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
Russon, Rodley. Fairthope Atom - think all these had production runs rather than being prototype/one offs. I know for a Rodley or two but the other two,,,,,,,

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Dear friends

The Top twenty list of Britains rarest cars I think was meant to be cars that are registered and still road going, rather than in museums.

Whilst some of the cars may not be road going at present, I think there are enough to dispute the rarity figures that they quote on this survey.

Should we write back and contest their survey results?

Chris Thomas