Author Topic: Not what I expected...  (Read 11551 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Not what I expected...
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
Hello,

Well, the mochet I was offered was not as good as expected... At all.
We knew it was bad, he said the back was a bit cut of, but didnt think of the whole car being ripped in half! Pics :)
No, I did not buy it, even for 50 euros.

Half of the chassis rusted away, so no rear wheels, nor the engine.

Enjoy the pics :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Not what I expected...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
Sorry for the giant pics, here are half size ones
Mopeds:

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »
Dexion & Dulux works wonders!   ;D    True it may be too far gone for sensible restoration, but one option which nobody ever seems to concider anymore is why not just bodge it up out of any old rubbish to look like a complete Mochet? A few strategic planks of wood, some big bolts, lawnmower engine & moped wheels & Manuel is your third cousin.  Lets face it, the car is as good as dead anyway so what's the harm?

On general terms, no doubt some members of this forum are going to throw their computer out the window in sheer horror of what I've just said, but how many cars out there have never seen daylight "because you can't get the parts". With a bit of thought and planning, it is perfectly possible to bodge anything up to get any car up and "working" if you 'ain't too fussy, and nobody need be any the wiser as to what the car is made of from five feet away. With the same forethought & planning it is a matter or pride to use the original boltholes etc for anything inserted so that in years to come, the car CAN go back to "original" if so desired or inclined.  Please note: I'm not talking about customising or hot-rodding here. The Art of the good Bodge is another world entirely.  It's no different than using a Vauxhall Astra bonnet to make the whole side of a Heinkel. Or a dustbin lid as a spare wheel well....

Alas, I fear everyone worships the great god "End Value" these days, so I'm going to be hung, drawn & quartered for these above comments over the next few days.  ::)  But yes everyone, if that Mochet was in my hands, I'd be digging out the Dexion & lawnmower tomorrow....   :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:36:36 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:56:16 AM »
For once I agree with Stuart.    ;D   Everything is restorable.  It probably depends on your definition of "original".   If the body panels are rusted through in parts, or parts missing, is it acceptable to replace with other suitable metal?  Also, on the chassis; if rusted, twisted, parts missing or damaged beyond repair, is it acceptable to replace with metal similar?  There has recently been dialogue on the forum on replacement panels being fabricated.  Surely this is the same situation.  Does every bit and bob have to be from an "original" Mochet of the same year, model and style?  If original wheels cannot be found, can similar be fabricated or found?  What about tyres?  Who in their right mind, wants to use the "original" tyres, even if visually ok?  Is it acceptable to replace tyres with a modern reproduction, in the name of safety, or practicallity?  If an "original" engine was found, would a modern piston, con rod, bearings, rings be used to rebuild it? What about petrol, should we use 1950 petrol and oil?  It is not as if, all of a sudden someone decided that they wanted a Mochet, and fabricated every part and assembled it.  What would the percentage of original parts have to be so that it was not considered a "reproduction'?  What would this percentage be based on?  Mass, weight, surface area, number of parts, and the list goes on.  This vehicle is definitely in need of restoration, and if I were closer, I would accept the challenge.  I think that this car is a great candidate for someone to learn the art of research and restoration within the bounds of acceptable accuracy, safety and technology.  It is not a weekender project, unless those weekends went into years.  But worthwhile.     Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
agreed to all of the above . nice project for you jonathon - unfortunately i am too far away to help tee hee !!  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
Above views noted and valid but Jonathan is a novice not having ever finished even an easy car like his Nobel as yet so I fully understand him walking away from this one. As I understand it the part of the world where the Polls live is rich with such pickings and much better projects will be in the next field along.  

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »
Dexion & Dulux works wonders!   ;D    True it may be too far gone for sensible restoration, but one option which nobody ever seems to concider anymore is why not just bodge it up out of any old rubbish to look like a complete Mochet? A few strategic planks of wood, some big bolts, lawnmower engine & moped wheels & Manuel is your third cousin.  Lets face it, the car is as good as dead anyway so what's the harm?

On general terms, no doubt some members of this forum are going to throw their computer out the window in sheer horror of what I've just said, but how many cars out there have never seen daylight "because you can't get the parts". With a bit of thought and planning, it is perfectly possible to bodge anything up to get any car up and "working" if you 'ain't too fussy, and nobody need be any the wiser as to what the car is made of from five feet away. With the same forethought & planning it is a matter or pride to use the original boltholes etc for anything inserted so that in years to come, the car CAN go back to "original" if so desired or inclined.  Please note: I'm not talking about customising or hot-rodding here. The Art of the good Bodge is another world entirely.  It's no different than using a Vauxhall Astra bonnet to make the whole side of a Heinkel. Or a dustbin lid as a spare wheel well....

Alas, I fear everyone worships the great god "End Value" these days, so I'm going to be hung, drawn & quartered for these above comments over the next few days.  ::)  But yes everyone, if that Mochet was in my hands, I'd be digging out the Dexion & lawnmower tomorrow....   :)

I'll watch you! Meanwhile you could be rebuilding a real car that turns up the following week that needs no real development engineering and can be genuinely roadworthy for less input and as a better investment of time and money. A dud is a dud. For 50 Euros that Mochet wants hung on a wall or something - until a one with a shagged front end turns up.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
is that a technical term then ?  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
Above views noted and valid but Jonathan is a novice not having ever finished even an easy car like his Nobel as yet so I fully understand him walking away from this one. As I understand it the part of the world where the Polls live is rich with such pickings and much better projects will be in the next field along.  

Well, I expected the car to be a lot better. You can not save much on this car, since the chassis is half therte, and I bet if you just stand on the chassis tubes, they will just break apart, its that rotten. I like Stuarts idea, but I didnt take any other picture,, I should have done to convince you mlot how bad it is!
I guess you can save the gear lever, handbrake, speedo, lights, grille, wheels, petrol cap, maybe the bumpers, but there is 1 missing, and you can probably get the flat metal extrusion to bend them yourself.
No engine, chassis is rotten, 1 door missing, window frame snapped off (in the pic I'm holding it), and it really is just snapped in 2 due to the rust...

If we ever go by the owners place, I will probably take more pics for you. The guy "saved" it from the scrapyard, and just layed the front on top of the back.
Here are a couple of pictures top show how bad it was...

Second pic is just a quick rubbishy drawing I done on the pc, so you can see the way it rusted away. No real way you can repair it. My dad is good with bodywork, but not making new panels. If we go to a metalwork place, imagine the price.
A finished Mochet is probably worth about 3k, so you have to think of the restoration price...

You definitely have to see it to believe how bad it is. The same guy gave us a dead mochet before, for free, in better condition, but we gave it to a friend, since it was also bad condition (normal new model, but with a bent roof, smashed in sides, must have rolled over)

Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
How about tuning it into a paper Mochet. Cheap to build and light enough to dump at a show. Power from a secondhand Mamod steam engine or something so it makes a noise and moves enough to get the way. All for thrupence ha'penny down the brocante and another successfully restored original MIcrocar for the confused to catalogue from the campervan. Fortunately Jonathan's dad has seen it all before and if he thinks its had it I believe him even if I did not Jonathan. Something else will turn up, it always does for those who bother looking.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
i thought 50 euro was a lot for a mochet . i thought Costa charged enough !! i have today paid £2.69 for a 12oz ! dear enough i think . it was though in fine condition although and needed only a little attention mmmmm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
i thought 50 euro was a lot for a mochet . i thought Costa charged enough !! i have today paid £2.69 for a 12oz ! dear enough i think . it was though in fine condition although and needed only a little attention mmmmm

The recyclable car, the noshet. You get waffers with it! It is called the body.

Oceanix

• Chatty
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
Is it this one you saw:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/204313042.htm?ca=3_s

If it could be shipped by a logistics company, I would buy it, could maybe use part of the steering,
head lights and a rear bumper for mine, the rest as garage decoration  :D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Is it this one you saw:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/204313042.htm?ca=3_s

If it could be shipped by a logistics company, I would buy it, could maybe use part of the steering,
head lights and a rear bumper for mine, the rest as garage decoration  :D

Well, yes it is, but it was extremely rusty, steering wheel was broken, and he doesnt ship. He did actually sell it for 300 € though!

- Jonathan -
Mopeds:

Oceanix

• Chatty
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
Thank you.
300€ is still not bad, I was offered 1 rear bumper for   :o 200€  :o and original turning lights for 240€ / piece  :-\  :-[

A finished Mochet is probably worth about 3k, so you have to think of the restoration price...

I think the Roadster is much more than 3K, a Mochet convertible might be 3K, the Roadster
is at least 8-10k. They sold two on the Veterama for 13000+

If anyone knows a Roadster for 3K - please tell me  ;)