Author Topic: Question about Mochets...  (Read 5310 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Question about Mochets...
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »
Hello,

For once, I won't bore you about Nobels, I'll bore you about Mochets instead  ;D

I was offered a Mochet, that one of our firends saved from the Scrapyard. I havent seen it yet, he said its bad, the back is a bit cut of (Dont know to which extent, since he said the bood is on, but no handle).
It has no engine, but there should be no problem really, since I have an idea...

My dad has a Ydral 125 motor in pieces (from the same guy who offered me the Mochet), but my dad said there really slow, no power. I then thought of getting a 200cc motor of of ebay, or somewhere else, but then he said he had a spare villiers 200cc engine that he will probably never use.
If I do decide to use it (of course I have to work for it! Lifting schmitt monocoques, stripping paint of a schmitt nose, help fix the cars, etc...) I was wondering if any of you has ever converted a mochet engine?
I dont know what model mochet it is, since I havent seen it, but the guy said its a cabrio (but he gave us another mochet once, ordinary soft top), so I'm guessing its one of the older mochets, or maybe the roadster? He did say its a split screen, so I guess its the cm 125 grand luxe roadster. Here are some pics, so you can judge yourself.

This is what I think it is

Anyone got any pics of the chassis? Or pics of the soft top model?

Other pics :)

Seems to be the only split screen model! Apart from the old black one, which has a verticaly-split screen.

So, has anyone got photos of a chassis, or converted the engine mount for it? I have no idea how, but I guess you learn by doing things, and I always have my dad who can help me with certain bits :)

I have no idea what condition it is, but its bad. However, our friend will sell it at 50 euros since thats what he paid.

Jonathan

Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Question about Mochets...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:10 PM »
cant help jonathon. looks fun though . SPELLING 5/10 does " bood" mean hood or boot or does it still have both ? g-o-g-g-o has a mochet and needs wheels perhaps you could help him find some . same model as the second down of your photos

oh and sorry to be pain in tha a*** but the old black one is the only one with a HORIZONTALLY split screen - you would be lucky to get one that early . the one you expect would be more practical and useable but how fast do you want to go in one of those ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:00:39 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
cant help jonathon. looks fun though . SPELLING 5/10 does " bood" mean hood or boot or does it still have both ? g-o-g-g-o has a mochet and needs wheels perhaps you could help him find some . same model as the second down of your photos

oh and sorry to be pain in tha a*** but the old black one is the only one with a HORIZONTALLY split screen - you would be lucky to get one that early . the one you expect would be more practical and useable but how fast do you want to go in one of those ?

I meant boot ;)
I write better in french, just that I dont think its a good idea, not many people will understand... Most mistakes are because of dislexyc fingers  ;D

I didnt know what to say about the window, vertical or horizontal. Depends if you mean the actual "split" or the way they are arranged...

It is hard to get wheels for them, my dad is also trying to look for some of those wheels (just for the tyres, 450 x 55a if I'm right) for a friend.

My dad said he has had to sit behind them in rallies, where you're not allowed to overtake, and there *really* slow. So, I guess 200cc will do, I know it will be different since its a different engine, but schmitt/nobel speed will easiy do.
Unless I find a cheap hayabusa engine, but they all seem to be near the 2k price range ;)

Jonathan
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »
HI Jonathan. I like Mochets too. I suggest you get hold of a copy of the mochet book by Herman Bruning [if you dont already have it] . It covers the full history of the mark and is in French which is a bonus for you. The only potential problem with what you are proposing is that these cars were designed to go really slow, any fool can put a big engine in a small car and get it to go fast but the handling, steering and especially the braking would not be up to the task, you would have to modify everything, why not restore it original spec? As Richard said, "how fast do you want to go?" We dont want you turning into a hot rodder now do we!

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »
Look what I found for you
This is the chassis of the CM model. (The body in the pic does not have the front fenders installed)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »
Lovely cars, but I agree with Bob about over-powering and over-speeding. Mochets are a true Cyclecar,  term coined in about the 1920s    for small and simple cars. A 200 cc engine will give you the speed and acceleration of, say, a KR 200, Heinkel Trojan, Isetta etc. but almost certainly insufficient braking power to cope with that exuberantly intoxicating velocity. And don't try to tell me that you will not explore the potential of whatever engine you put in, because we all would too, power is irresistable!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
HI Jonathan. I like Mochets too. I suggest you get hold of a copy of the mochet book by Herman Bruning [if you dont already have it] . It covers the full history of the mark and is in French which is a bonus for you. The only potential problem with what you are proposing is that these cars were designed to go really slow, any fool can put a big engine in a small car and get it to go fast but the handling, steering and especially the braking would not be up to the task, you would have to modify everything, why not restore it original spec? As Richard said, "how fast do you want to go?" We dont want you turning into a hot rodder now do we!

Dont worry, I dont want to be a hot rodder! (Well, maybe, but I wont ruin micro's!)

I was thinking if I would be able to go at about 75 km/h, that would be great. Of course, you never go flat out, so if it can go 85 you run it at 75 km/h.
125 mochets go at 50 km/h according to the book you mentionned.

Suprisingly, I read that book at school this morning before I read your messgae. My dad saw your post, and remembered he had it.
Great book!

The guy who found me the mochet says it has a missing door... I see the only twoe with split screen and door are the prototype, but I dont have my hopes to high, or the roadster I mentionned, but it is different to the pic I sent in first place, here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0xQ4bHNYoM&feature=related which also has a door.

Jim, thanks for those pictures! Bruce is looking for those tyres, hard to find...

Jonathan
Mopeds: