Author Topic: Schmitt help please KR200  (Read 3534 times)

golo2

• Chatty
Schmitt help please KR200
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
My recently restored schmitt is causing me problems and as I did not do the resto have learned nothing!
Things started with track rod end snapping
I now know that there are early (thin) and later thicker track rods and ends. I now have a pair of thicker
Also now a set of proper (from Winford) centre and end rubbers. With a fight these all went into place.
I assembled the whole thing (both rods) and slid it into the car. Centre shouldered bolt went in well -good fit

My help request is about the end bolts I cannot get them in. They are shouldered and appear to be 10dia and the hard new rubber in the end 9.4?? the bolt will just not go into the bush. It is a good fit in the metal fork
Hoped to go to Abingdon show Sunday looks like a static display if at all
Thanks in advance

Desperate of Abingdon

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Schmitt help please KR200
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
Wish I could help! Perhaps the rubber is the nearest available size and you have to drill it to correct size, but I don't know, good luck!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Ollie

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
Post a message on the messerschmitt forum.. they will answer any question you need to know  ;)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
they need to be reamed

i have heard you can heat up the bolts red hot and then melt the bush to fit 
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
Not quite that hot, just enough to soften the bush material. That is the way we all used to do it though a reamer is the correct method. Been in touch with Ian direct.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
Heating a bolt all the way up to red hot could be bad: if the bolts are tempered red heat might soften them or alter them.

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
Big thank you to responders especially life (and temper/sanity) saver Big Al.
I did ream them using a pillar drill and hand reamer! even so the fit was extreme hard work to push bolts through
Now done.BUT need to figure out / find out how to adjust for 2mm toe in
No rush  have to fit new points and see if the engine will work (was fine just decided to not start)

Thanks again
Ian (not quite so grumpy)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
I should have remeberd that you can get rubber lubricant which helps hugely or jobs like that, or getting hand grips onto handle bars, cricket bats and tools. Some people use diluted detergemt, but this is not good because it contains salt, so a tiny bit of soap and water can help you next time.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
Adjusting the toe in is easy using a couple of sticks of wood and a pencil. Just hold the two sticks together and measure the distance between the front edges of the rims, mark the wood and adjust, keep doing this untill there is 2mm difference between the rear rim edges and the front ones. Simples!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
A replacement quality long radio aerial makes a spiffing Schmitt tracking tool! Cheap as well. I now have a Dunlop tracking gauge and once I have obtained the missing parts can do the job with that. Have the rear bits too so can track a Goggo up. I had thought it might be fun to take this to a rally so folk could track up their car and we can have a prize for the wonkiest car!

I have a camber gauge here, Ian. Both adjustments are important for optimum Schmitt performance.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »
Adjusting the toe in is easy using a couple of sticks of wood and a pencil

You and your bendy sticks! Eh Bob ;)