Author Topic: Bank Holiday monday  (Read 6005 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Bank Holiday monday
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
What did we all do last Monday? Did anyone go to Popham? I drove thumper to a little show over Southend way, show was ok but too many trikes and Harley riders under the delusion that they have classics. Thumper went well though, a thirtyfive mile trip two up with luggage and despite the strong cross winds she held a reasonably straight line on the dual carriage way, it seams the faster it goes the straighter it steers. This was its first trip out involving any distance and I was quite pleased with it, took it up to just over 50 MPH then settled it down to cruise at about 45. I feel a modification coming on though, I dont like the way the engine which jumps around on its mounts quite a bit has to tug around the silencer with it. A piece of flexy hose in the down pipe section would be beneficial.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Bank Holiday monday
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
Alright for some, not a single day off for me for almost 2 months now! One 2 hour outing with Goggo on Drive It Day has been just about my only down time! Still, work nearly finished then have to instal it and then have a break, by which time it will be pouring!
Can you believe it though: nice weather for a week before the whole 4 day Easter break and the weather up for the whole dang thing. then Tues and Wed were a bit cloudy, but then it got nice again for the whole royal weeding holiday w/e and it's STILL nice. I thought it was illegal to have a sunny B/H, but 2 in a row is unbelievable. My figs are growing daily too!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
Hot strong cross winds tend to happen after to many buns over Easter BH! It was decidedly gusty on the way to Popham but less so on leaving Wantage with Root installed in Lab Rat's Austin Healey rather than my Pug. On gaining the airfield it was noticeable that there was a definite excess of air, so they were not lying, and that much of it was heading westwards to be replaced by chilly chums from over Essex somewhere, and lands beyond that well known sultry blue water called the North Sea. Brr! So coats on, hats off as they wouldn't stay on most bonces.
Turnout was approaching a dozen assorted Schmitt types and a red Bond MkC/D which I never got near. Good day mossying around jumble, chums and the Cat Protection League, not as dangerous as it sounds and jolly nice cakes. I managed to buy next to nothing but Root was in deep again finding the Peelesque and the IC related stuff. Not so much flying as only the bigger stuff could cope with the winds. A full quota of cars and they were turning them away. Great day out and returned home sunburned.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »
Sounds like a better show than the one I went to Al.

What are you working on Marcus?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Part of a big project at a local primary school. A very large flat empty tarmac playground is now just a large flat empty tarmac playground. About 1/3 of it now has a huge human sundial (partly designed by the children) where you stand on the right part of the colourful analema and your shadow tells the time, but not on cloudy days! There is a big and shapely wooden wind and football deflector, inside which are seats and hanging gardens, and a little foot bridge in front of it goes to a pond with a little island in it. There is a raised stage with lawns either side of it with log furniture, a fenced off garden, and on the stage my part: a xylophone, a weight-tuned simple harp (nearly finished) an array with 4 drums in it and a Cajon-Lujon, possibly the first in the world. A Cajon is a resonant wooden box you sit on a slap to produce a nice range of tones and rhythms and a Lujon is flat stainless steel plates mounted onto a wooden resonator; on the one the whole instrument is playable with hands or beaters by one or more children. They all have to be fun, safe, self-draining and rot-resistant and easy to maintain.

It is a lovely job, but a huge amount of work and I am relieved that it is coming to an end and I can plan a day off and get back to my life!

I know you have been very busy too Bob, how is it all going?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
That sounds an interesting job Marcus and certainly different! I recently finished a restoration job for the Institute of Ophthalmology and am now half way through something I wish I had walked away from, I'm refinishing all the brass art nouveau fittings for a London hotel going through a 30 million refit. Not the kind of work I usually take on but these days its not wise to turn anything down. Cant wait to get it finished and have some microcar/moped fun in the sun, hope the weather holds for The Enfield pageant and Bromley too.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
I bet you will get a lot of satisfaction when all the brassware is gleaming, but I can imagine the work itself getting a little tedious nd you getting a bit (ahem) brassed off!

(I'll get me coat)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »
Yep, brassed off and lacquered!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
 ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
Bob, I assume you know of Jade Oil (from Axminster), obviously for a busy hotel lacquer is more durable, but I like the more natural look of Jade Oil where appropriate.
I do like a bit of brass!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
Yep, a liberon product. Personaly I would prefer to leave these hotel fixtures unlacquersd because the more handled areas will wear away quickly and tarnish leaving a patchy effect. Traditionaly a little man or woman would polish them all on a daily basis much like old folk would polish there door steps. Still, they specified lacquer so thats what they will have. As this is not microcar related I think we should close this one now

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
Yup, not much polishable brass on micros, if there was we could keep on chatting!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
Could talk about aluminium body panel  polishing on them there Biscuit cutter thingies.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »
Biscuit Cutter!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
Can you believe it though ......... it got nice again for the whole royal weeding holiday w/e and it's STILL nice.

How strange? I did a lot of weeding in my garden while the rest of the country was looking at The Wedding. Still doing it as the borders on the estate have four foot thistle weeds growing since last year. Rain coming down here on Sat & Sun.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.