Author Topic: RHD Goggo  (Read 4662 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
RHD Goggo
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
RHD Goggomobil in the UK! Don't like the sound of the first comment, inspired by youtube no doubt: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOGGO-MOBIL-CAR-VINTAGE-RARE-CLASSIC-FIND-/250803482312?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a650d6ec8#ht_2626wt_932

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: RHD Goggo
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
Have you noticed the questions and answers at the bottom, a knowledgeable ebayer has informed the owner that it should have a Fiat 500 engine! Everyones an expert these days! :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
Pity the car has been lifted by strap. Might have killed it. Had a PO reg Goggo before and I recall it as a running car. Oh dear!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
I had a Goggo in 1976. reg no: 5244 PO.  Bought it from an airline pilot who lived in Midhurst, West Sussex. His son had used it to go to Uni and forgot to keep the oil topped up and the engine seized. Later sold it still seized to a collector in Kent along with other micros.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:41:33 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »
 And here we bring several strands together. 5422 PO, the ex Dobie car in the hands of Alan Hitchcock in the early/mid 1990s...   :)

blob

• Prolific Poster

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Hi
    This car does not have the original engine - it should be a 400cc car but someone has replaced the engine for a 250cc or possibly a 300 - I have informed the vendor but he has not altered the add to show a different engine has been fitted.
                                                                                                                                                     Mike

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »
Hi
    This car does not have the original engine - it should be a 400cc car but someone has replaced the engine for a 250cc or possibly a 300 - I have informed the vendor but he has not altered the add to show a different engine has been fitted.
                                                                                                                                                     Mike

As have I and asked to view. So we will see. Interesting the number is so close to the ex Dobie car. It was at Malcolm Goldsworthy's extended collection where I bought it from. It went back on the road as 'Rommel' and now lives in Lincolnshire with John Marshall, ex RAF and who is working on a Lancaster bomber so it is still associated to flying. It was a very good example but currently off the road.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
Up date on the second Goggo for sale near Devizes. Been to see it with buddy and bunts in pocket. I recognized after a few minutes as Ron Barnacle's old car. It has what looks like a factory replacement engine in place of the 400cc unit. This has no engine number so I guess it is a 300cc but it might be 250cc. Goggo replacement engines were not always numbered. The car is much as I remembered it some 20 years ago as Ron began rebuilding it but never got it going. Even the couple of new parts I sold him from the stash I bought from Bury St Edmunds way were still in the car as supplied in plastic wrapping. Be interested to see what it goes for, I have an interest but I suspect not enough to win it. Someone from Romford is due to view and two others today. Someone could have rosier tinted specs.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »
Further update on Goggo 2. It is now secured and we had it running last night, though without a carb slide in to start with as it has a 400cc throttle cable. Slightly frightening as some time back a backfire burned my hand doing this. Still 'hand starting' impresses the nieghbours! This factory replacement 300cc engine will make a good spare despite it being unused unserviced for some 43 years! You cannot beat a Goggo you see. The car is a red under white Export 400 model so it is to be returned to original once the correct engine is rebuilt and popped back into place. So the car should be hitting the road in about three of four weeks time once parts orders are in. Seller was a nice guy but lost interest in MIcrocars having sold a Schmitt last summer. Seems there was a lot of interest in the Goggo with a contingent of viewers from Essex amongst others. But I do not think anyone else appreciated quite how unusually good this car is. Should give Stuart's new car a run for its money!