Author Topic: Evil Bay  (Read 3364 times)

Basket case

• Chatty
Evil Bay
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
I see that there is an Italian trader from the States selling a wide range of microcar products on E Bay. Any feedback?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Evil Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
you mean ITALIANMETALS?

he is not Italian.  I think he is of Eastern European descent.

I believe he gets most all his parts from South America.

I wrote an article about him a few years ago.  Some of his products are good and acceptable.  He ships fast.
His ego is bruised very easily though. If you have any complaint about what you have received, he will not take any responsibility for it and instead tries to blame you, the buyer, saying that any number of people before you have purchased this item with no complaints.

Before I wrote the article for Microcar News magazine, I received several complaints from sources around the world asking if there was anything that could be done about this seller as some items appeared to be mis-represented and would not fit the vehicle they claimed to be for. 

I found that one of the reasons he has a lot of positive feedbacks is that people tend to order items and then leave feedback right after they receive them in the mail.
They may look in the box to see if there is something there, but most times the item goes on a shelf to be installed later. In the meantime, they leave positive feedback.
Later, when they go to install the item, they discover that there is something wrong with it, but the opportunity for leaving negative feedback is gone.

Another reason he has a lot of positive feedback is because for a long time people would not leave him any negatives because he does what is called "Retaliatory Negative Feedback"
What that means is that he won't leave you, the Buyer, any feedback until you leave feedback first.
If you leave positive, he leaves a positive.
If you leave a negative, he will leave you a blistering negative feedback calling you a liar or a con artist or something.
eBay's rules have changed, in part because of Sellers like ITALIANMETALS.
Sellers can no longer leave Negative Feedback for a Buyer.  However, many buyers are unaware of this and still don't leave feedback or leave a positive while making a negative comment.
Take a look at his feedback and you can see what kind of responses he gives to anyone that questions him.

ITALIANMETALS also offers "no refunds" on anything you purchase.  That may give you some idea of what you are up against.
HOWEVER- if you pay with PayPal, you can get a refund regardless of his "policy".  You just have to jump through a few more hoops.

So caveat emptor.  As long as there are no problems, customer service is great. But woe unto you if you have a problem with the item you bought.

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:01:14 PM »
Thank you. Great reply.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
I see that there is an Italian trader from the States selling a wide range of microcar products on E Bay. Any feedback?

Well, if it is ItalianMetals, dont buy from him.
He once listed a schmitt, and my dad used to own it! My dad told him that it has a wooden floor (wasnt mentionned in the auction) and he replied " Dont mess and f*ck with my auction"
I wouldnt trust him... Also, I think its the same seller who sold schmitt mudguards that didnt fot, they didnt have the small cutout/dent bit in them!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
I should also add that in the past he has threaten to sue anyone who says anything bad about him.
Back in 2006-2007 there was much discussion and sharing of stories of bad parts by a number of people.
One person who tried to get a refund received a childish email from Claudio (ItalianMetals) instead that stated:

"By the way all those guys that wrote that about me will be
reached by my attorney. I will have the last laugh and some money in
my pocket. Thank you."

He never sued anyone.  It is all posing and bullying.

I should point out that after I posted a two-page article about him in Microcar News magazine (that he read, as he was a subscriber at that time...) I received what is called a "Demand Letter" from someone claiming to be an attorney for one "Italian Metals" with "demands" of all the things that I was to do to compensate for the terrible terrible things I had written.

Knowing that everything I wrote was absolutely true and that I had documentation of it, I never replied.  The statute of limitations expired (after 1 year) for suing for defamation and I never heard anything else from him.  After a year, I posted excerpts from the "demand letter" in the Letters To The Editor column (it was addressed to the editor after all!) and pointed out all the things wrong with the Demand Letter, including the fact that the "attorney" had spelled his client's name incorrectly.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »
A trader who relies on distance to prevent a incident leading to hopping in fact. One day he will rip the wrong guy off and find a chapter of Hell's Angles turning up or something. His ignorance is only exceeded by his lack of charm I am told. However what do eBay care as long as they get their dibs.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs