Author Topic: Schmitt - a - Cycle  (Read 3875 times)

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
Schmitt - a - Cycle
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »

Clear top.... handlebar steering im sure thats been done before!!!!

http://www.sinclairzx.com/spec-x-1.html
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Schmitt - a - Cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
err yes - inter wasn't it bob ?  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
Here's some presentation footage of it running on the street.

http://www.sinclairzx.com/x-1.html
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Looks pretty cool to me! You have to give it to Sir Clive, as many times as the man gets a knock back he gets up again and comes up with something different!! I must say despite the footage on the street being CGI imposed it does look a fairly sound little machine and quite safe... which is useful as it lacks a very important item for great British winters... a windscreen wiper!!

Have to say I also like the A- Bike on there, might get myself one of those, its big enough to fit in the back of the schmitt for when I'm having to park and ride (due the employer (Public sector.. naming no names) I work for stopping staff parking at work, and £2 a litre cost of petrol!!)..... or maybe I could get myself one of those dragons den oversized tyred - incorrect steering wheeled -  overpriced - peel engineering but not official peel engneering P50's to park at the end of my desk, between the shredder and filing cabinet??.......
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:10:07 PM by DrewS »
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
Sorry Dicky but Inters have niether clear tops or handlebar steering! 

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
does look a fairly sound little machine and quite safe

I disagree, just not practical for cities riding a standard bicycle is perilous enough. As for folding bikes, the Sinclare looks good but but nothing beats a Brompton.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
I would expect their to be a batch of extras to go along with it, little things like mirrors, indicators and a way to lock it securely (along with the wipers) would turn it from a nightmare to use to into something with real potential. that said, it already seems a more practical vehicle than the C5. The best thing though is the price, most enclosed velomobiles start at about £4K - in my view £595 makes this a realistic proposition for city dwellers providing Sinclair have thought about trying to turn right or move into the center lane while you're riding/driving it.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
Regardless of how good it may or may not be, until/unless roads are improved for cyclists and small vehicles like this Sinclair most people will be too afraid to share the road with cars, vans and trucks.

The best improvement recently has been cyclists wearing helmet cams. In London the Police do absolutely nothing if a cyclist is injured, and the courts give far lighter sentences if a motorist kills or injures a cyclist rather than a pedestrian.

Helmet cam evidence has now forced the Police to take action, and shown the Courts irrefutable evidence leading to some convictions and sensible sentences to aggressive and dangerous motorists. Drivers are slowly starting to realise they might get caught, and they will gradually learn to be more considerate, but sadly I think the time is still not right for mass cycling or small electric scooters in big numbers in cities like London.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
oops  :-[
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
The folding Sinclair bike looks somewhat lethal to me but ,I quite like the  new sinclair car .Nice lines .
  My only crit is that there is no room for  carrying anything  at all .As previously mentioned , no security measures too .
      Could be troubles getting that insured .
 If I recall the  Trojan /Heinkel three wheeler was under £500 when first sold here in the 60's .
         I'm sure someone will tell me the exact price & date but without my Boys Book of Knowledge to hand  I'm in bother .

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »
If you transpose this Sinclair to Milton Keynes it would be great. It might work round Oxford. But it is the infrastucture that is the problem until or unless the massed numbers of these machines win road space. It is interesting that comment has been made as soon as the machine resembles a car folk want all the gizmos from a car in it. So could a repro twist and go Heinkel sell. It seems not, though the concept is as good now as ever and just needs tweaking.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs