Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 7803 times)

chrispbug

• Occasional

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
A cunning extra tax revenue stream. As I say it is getting to the point having a registered but unviable vehicle to drive is becoming untenable on a live record. In a collection and owners will prefer unregistered vehicles without the option of driving them on roads, trace records for taxation or ownership making them like quality artworks and the like. Dodges the taxman for the rich.

I have been reducing the cars with registrations live on DVLA in favour of ones with reclaimable or reclaimed but as yet unused docs so as to avoid all this crap. With a few cars in use I can manage it but 50 odd cars on SORN etc is a nightmare of paperwork for no good effect I can see.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
If registered vehicles are declared SORN they dont have to be insured so I cant see this being a big issue.

"The only way to get around insuring a vehicle you're not using is to officially declare it off-road by registering it as SORN. Doing so will exempt it from the compulsory insurance requirement"

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:45:21 PM by Bob Purton »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
This from the DVLA website.

"Renewal Reminder
The renewal reminder (V11) is issued by the DVLA before the expiry date of a tax disc or SORN declaration. The reference number is a unique number that can be found on the front of the V11 renewal reminder in the yellow box on the left hand side, to enable you apply for a tax disc or make a SORN online or by using our telephone service."

When I had vehicles DVLA sent renewal reminders. The ones on SORN or others just running out of tax and being SORNed were easily dealt with online.

This 'new' legislation is to get hold of the gits who think they can flount the law by driving with no insurance. You will not have to have insurance if your vehicles are SORNed.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:22:16 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
 Plus this continus insurance thing does not apply to vehicles which have been off the road and are still off the road since before 1998 or whatever the same year is for requiring SORN.  Only vehicles which have taxed for road use at any time SINCE 1998 require SORNing or Compulsarry taxing. Thus your everyday bubble DOES need to be either taxed or SORNed, but that project sat in the barn since 1986 DOES NOT, even if it has a proper V5 etc etc. If it has not been used on the road at any time from 1998 onwards, it does not apply.  If however you finally get on & use it, then it starts applying.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
This from the DVLA website.

"Renewal Reminder
The renewal reminder (V11) is issued by the DVLA before the expiry date of a tax disc or SORN declaration. The reference number is a unique number that can be found on the front of the V11 renewal reminder in the yellow box on the left hand side, to enable you apply for a tax disc or make a SORN online or by using our telephone service."

When I had vehicles DVLA sent renewal reminders. The ones on SORN or others just running out of tax and being SORNed were easily dealt with online.

This 'new' legislation is to get hold of the gits who think they can flount the law by driving with no insurance. You will not have to have insurance if your vehicles are SORNed.

What about surrendering your tax disc, loosing a month's value and then having to buy another each time you use a little used post 1973 vehicle? Funny how that is not a flexible system. People who drive without insurance will drive without insurance, without licences etc as it is cheaper than doing thing correctly if you are young with a cheap car or a bad driving record.

Clearly individual numberplates would solve this and many other issues but it does not make revenue as records need to be accurate as would the car ownership record system. If you are banned from driving, no numberplates! Tax, insurance and MOT appear on the numberplate. Insurance is for drivers not cars. Those who do not want the privilege of driving legally can have the book thrown at them rather than pathetic fines and further bans which they already ignored. After all they have to steal or fraudulantly create a numberplate to even look legal. 3 strikes you are out. Might make the roads emptier but it would be a lot safer as you would know who was out there. I would go further and zone the plates so you can tell local from stranger. This allows you to make allowances for folk not knowing where they are going and so forth. Just passed drivers restricted to low powered cars for two years. Charge £12.50 for cars to come beyond the M25 into the country. OK I am going fascist now.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
Sounds fine just so long as country folk have to pay the same to come inside the M25!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
Sounds fine just so long as country folk have to pay the same to come inside the M25!

Its a deal! If it works then all the large Conner Bations, Irish builder, can be ringed and us country types can go back to living in the '50's.