Author Topic: Disney Pixar Janus  (Read 5421 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Disney Pixar Janus
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
I always thought the fork lift truck in Pixar's animated feature 'Cars' looked a little microcar-esk, now it seams they've gone a stage further with their research for the sequel, adding a Zundapp Janus to the lineup of characters. Wonder if it'll do anything for the Zundapp's appeal, or am I the only grown up watching cartoons.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: Disney Pixar Janus
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:55:53 AM »
I am mostly surprised that they used an accurate period-correct colour scheme and left the car as-is.
There do not appear to be any "cartoony" changes or blending of it with another make and model.

The real Janus that they used for a reference is solid red, so someone took the time to look at colors and details.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
an accurate period-correct colour scheme and left the car as-is.

That's what interested me, though there are plenty of real manufacturers I recognize, all very Herge.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
I think in cars 1, there is an isetta.
I do know that in the pixar film "flushed away" there is an animated schmitt submarine! I remember seeing that film in the cinem when I was about 9 shouting when I saw it "My dad has one of them!"
There is also a bubble isetta in Futurama.
Youre not the only animation viewer, I also make some :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I love the screen-pillar-mounted monocle!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
These products might be for kids but the more successfull ones do tend to use identifyable machines, animals etc. Thomas the Tank Engine etc. Of course being artists and designers the design of the original cars are clearly going to appeal and I am not surprised that a microcar should appear. It happens to be a Zundapp which is not what most would first guess and so much the better. For some reason Duck World had what look like Scootacars in it! Leave it to clever souls to find a link.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
Perhaps Disney realise that children's fathers may like to see more realistic cars. Herge drew everything from life, and his drawings of cars, planes, trains and ships are so simple, but always so right. Even with flat colour, no shading and no highlights you can still get a real feel of the contours of each vehicle.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »
Herge of Shark submarines, Inter, 175 Messerschmitt, Velam Isetta, Iso Romi, Deeks at least in my collection. All have appeared at one time or another on RUMcar. Brilliant
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
The Shark Submarine in Red Rackham's Treasure was an artistic fantasy, but still based on a real midget submarine that Herge studied. Professor Calculus's Moon Rocket was another artistic fantasy, but still closely based on a Vera Lynne War German V2 Rocket. Seeing as the first proper Tintin book came out about 1919-1921 I think Herge must be considered to be the real father of the graphic novel as we know it now.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
The Shark Submarine in Red Rackham's Treasure was an artistic fantasy, but still based on a real midget submarine that Herge studied. Professor Calculus's Moon Rocket was another artistic fantasy, but still closely based on a Vera Lynne War German V2 Rocket. Seeing as the first proper Tintin book came out about 1919-1921 I think Herge must be considered to be the real father of the graphic novel as we know it now.

Now I admit ignorance here. What the hell is a graphic novel? I had this turn up on an application form and had not met it before. Is this an attempt to change cartoons into a new genre thus allowing fiction to be picsalated for those who have not the attention span to read? If so I am appalled. Go buy an instruction manual, at least that is useful graphic writing.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
The Tintin books are generally reckoned to be the first graphic novels, a fully illustrated story where words and pictures are roughly equal in quantity and importance. Alice In Wonderland is a story with superb pictures, pure comics tend to be more involved in humour and slapstick. Another great example of a graphic novel (often wrongly hailed as the first) is Maus, by Art Spiegelman, which tells the story of his parents lives under the Nazis, the Jews are mice and the Germans are cats. Neil Gamen is famous for his lavishly illustrated fantasy G.N.s, not really my scene. If you like Tintin, then you like Graphic Novels!

If you do not like Tintin it will be Pistols at Dawn for you, sah!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
The Tintin books are generally reckoned to be the first graphic novels, a fully illustrated story where words and pictures are roughly equal in quantity and importance. Alice In Wonderland is a story with superb pictures, pure comics tend to be more involved in humour and slapstick. Another great example of a graphic novel (often wrongly hailed as the first) is Maus, by Art Spiegelman, which tells the story of his parents lives under the Nazis, the Jews are mice and the Germans are cats. Neil Gamen is famous for his lavishly illustrated fantasy G.N.s, not really my scene. If you like Tintin, then you like Graphic Novels!

If you do not like Tintin it will be Pistols at Dawn for you, sah!

So the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers series is a graphic novel. It is art meeting literature rather than pure cartoon like Dandy. I guess I allow Tintin to work on two levels. He certainly got into trouble during the war.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
I love the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, and Fat Freddie's Cat. The pedants would argue that most of the FFB series are comics, but there are "short story" ones like "Grass Roots" and "Chariots of the Globs" which could be called Mini Graphic Novels, or Graphic Novellettas!
I don't care what they are called, I just like them. I don't care what anyone calls me : "Call me Quaxo, call me Coricopat, call me Jellylorum, call me anything you want, but just don't call me late for dinner!" (Fat Freddie's Cat, Chariot of the Globs" by Gilbert Shelton and Dave Sheridan)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
 Also do not call me 'Eddie baby'. Graham Chapman.

Hmm! FFFB is surely also educational as well, which was why it was suppressed. I think this graphic novel thing is a moving target and I do not trust it as a definition. It also can be used by the wrong folk to attempt to pigeon hole things designed not to be pigeon holed.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Well, for the best view, check here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA46PE2iU-I
360 turntable of it :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,