Author Topic: Name this car.....  (Read 3505 times)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Name this car.....
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
This vehicle is about six foot by two foot.  Five were made by a very prestigious manufacturer.   Andy, Rory and Stuart are banned from answering.     Maybe that gives it away.  I need to know the year, propulsion and maker.   Good luck. Ian.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:35:00 PM by cuscus47 »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Name this car.....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
The car is named Arnold. Feet make it work and it was made for the prestigious manufacturer in his plant by Marcel and Juan. I claim my prize of a years subscription to 101/2 ignoranous monthy magazines.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
The car is named Arnold. Feet make it work and it was made for the prestigious manufacturer in his plant by Marcel and Juan. I claim my prize of a years subscription to 101/2 ignoranous monthy magazines.

Not completely correct. 

Hint 1).     The make does start with an A,  though the CEO was ELC.  It seems as if that indicates its power plant too.........

Hint 2).     Tomorrow or maybe later or sooner.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
If I said Ecky Ecky would I be getting it right? Not sure how but another famous auto name was associated with this outfit and made some art noveau cars with his name on too.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
If you are thinking it is a doozy, you are becoming close.   8)  Same factory where Duesenbergs made.  You are the only competitor Alan, so maybe you will win the prize of half gallon of standard octane petrol, but it is only deliverable this side of the pond to you.  It is not postable (stamps do not stick to liquids).   ian.

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
Looks to be a 1930 Auburn Electric, quite possibly this one:

http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28&sid=d3bbc7587bce5a0a19c266f89ec88376

You're quite generous with the hints, Ian.  The grille alone is fairly distinctive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:02:07 AM by mharrell »
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Quite correct Mike.   :D This is a 1930 Auburn Electric.  E.L.Cord had his factory in Auburn, Indiana, design and make five of these for his grandchildren.  This is where he made Auburns, Cords and Deusenbergs.  This vehicle is actually on exhibit in the ACD Museum in the actual premises of the factory and showroom.

Here is a blowup of the placard.  Maybe some one can decipher it, its too blurry for me.    Or maybe Andy or Stuart have a better photo of the description.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:23:11 AM by cuscus47 »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
I was right! My knowledge of American cars is very limited but the thing about Auburn and Cord was the panels and shut lines were of great accuracy unlike the mass produced stuff of the time. No idea on rad grills etc but the build quality and clues led me to the Eckhart Brothers, inventors of the cordless drill when ELC was not looking and holders of a name I like so remembered as a useless fact.