Author Topic: Castor oil  (Read 3287 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Castor oil
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with burning Castor in there two strokes? I'm thinking of using it in my Guzzino. What are the pro's or cons?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Castor oil
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
Shame the bike shop in our yard has closed down as one of their mechanics was great on 2 strokes and would have given good advice.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
well sure bob wont need to worry . he will surely have to rebuild his engine regularly anyway  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »
a friend has been using it in his Vespa 400 for some time and loves it, mostly the smell.

but don't mix it with other oils.  something bad happens.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
Castrol R40 is the stuff, smells absolutely lovely. I think the main problem is simply that for most modern engines castor based lubricants have largely been surpassed in all round performance and cost by synthetics.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014107&contentId=7027099
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
Neville Stephens has been adding Castrol R in his schmitt oil tank for about 20 years. Smells great and goes like the clappers. It seems to suffer no ill effects from standing over the winter months. I also chuck a dollop in my schmitts every now & then and in some of my bikes, 2 stroke & 4 stroke.  I don't add it in 'The Big Green Cricklewood Machine', as it may gum up the valves and I can't afford to overhaul that one !                         Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »
Thanks for everyones input on this one. Some of the guys who I go on autocycle runs with use the stuff, it does smell great, they say you can thrash your engine to new levels with no ill effect! Well they have used it in speedway for years so that must say something, if it got Bleriot across the channel in 1909 it has to be ok! I have been warned not to mix it with other oils and also not to leave it in an unused engine as it takes in moisture and you get oxidisation however I have read that the modern stuff contains additives to prevent this happening. I think Dickies remark was meant to be cheeky [ jealous because he never finishes anything!] but in actual fact I will be rebuilding my Guzzino and my Puch engines annually I love doing it and they are a pleasure to work on. I think I will try the Morris oils castor.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »
Louis Bleriot, world class hero!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 08:51:03 AM »
There are two problems with Castor oil.

If left unused in an engine it turns into a jelly like substance, presumably linked to it being hygroscopic, which is not easy to get out of nooks and crannies or oilways meaning an engine strip down. Clearly this will depend on the mix ratio and what level of the oil is actually left in the engine once the lighter parts have evaporated. Nick's experience and the simplicity of many of these 'later' two stroke engines would suggest this is not a great problem. More complex designs of an earlier era of engine design using a lot of oil would be a concern. Such things as aero rotary engines for instance.

The second thing to know is that Castor oil is a carcinogen and linked to certain cancers, I believe, so while it is great to smell, it should be treated with some degree of respect. It is not banned because it is not used greatly partly due to price and partly due to the issue of cleaning the engines up after use. Also I think the sort of devices we have have fallen off the official radar.

'Innit nice to actually be allowed to play with a dangerous chemical for once? As Nick will tell you French Supermarkets happily sell Sulphuric acid, Chlorine, Acetone etc. Not only that it tends to be stored all on one shelf. I often wonder what happens if the bottles fall and break. The French still assume people have a level of responsibility for themselves and if you want to dissolve your sheep do not complain about it afterwards. Very healthy too after our nanny state.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs