Author Topic: headlamps  (Read 3669 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
headlamps
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
ongoing with the Gordon . have been stuck for some time with finding headlamp bulbs. would appreciate help in finding the following :

for Bond A , B, C and Gordon- Ba  type large headlamp bulb 6 volts`12/3 or 18/3 - tried all the usual suppliers but if you can help you will receive my eternal thanks  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: headlamps
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
thanks but i need earlier type bulb and MUCH lower power :'(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
please try and help on this one as the wiring harness progressing after modifying the diagram . when made in 1955 the new law of 1954 was complied with and brake lights were now obligatory , or sorry one brake light was ! the headlamp dipping seems bizarre by modern standards as the procedure was just to turn off the offside headlamp !!

AM NOW COMPLETELY STUCK FOR HEADLAMP BULBS 6V 12/3 OR POSS 6V 18/3 THANKS  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
Yes the Bonds did that. Quite interesting effect with a spot light on a 6v MkC. With all lights blazing, main beam or dip the amount of light was pretty much the same! You could not see where you were going and the car could not see where you had been with one rear light. Bond, stealth car.

Looks like an autojumble trip. I do not know what the bulb looks like but I got ride of most of my oddities to a trader or Dave Hambledon. Have you asked him?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »
Hi
    You are trying to repeat what was done on the car originally - unfortunatly it will not pass the current MOT test - you have to have two back lights not one, and the headlight arrangement - originally the nearside one cut off and the offside one was dipped mechanicly will not pass the MOT test - I got a pair of refectors off a ford e93a and modified them them to fit in my Morris 8 ( 6v lighting unit). - you could of course have only daylight use in which case you need no lights whatsoever - you will have to find a garage willing to do a test for you - then they issue you with an advisory note with your MOT which says you can only use it in DAYLIGHT !!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                        Mike

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »
thanks g-o-g-g-o but as i said i have modified the wiring from original so wont have those features . the problem is having added needs to the battery , rather than reducing them anyway, i cannot then use the only bulbs i can find i.e. 6v 24/24 and the like .when original only 6v 12/3 was thought manageable .

thanks big al but have been trying for these bulbs for 6 years !! at Beaulieu and other jumbles . what is the solution there must be one . have asked via the Bond magazine and again - no answers  :(

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
I dont understand the problem Richard, its not as if you will have the lights on all the time. With a reasonable size modern battery it will power all the lights no matter what bulbs and the dynano will top up the battery when driving in the day light. I'm obviously missing something.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
wiring is quite beyond me ! it just seemed that as i have a 56amp battery , as original ,that maybe nothing more powerful would work . anyway as of tomorrow i will try more powerful bulbs and be dammed  :o thanks bob

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
It doesnt look like you have much choice!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »
Another option. Look at the new LED light bulbs. They use very little current. It might be possible to adapt some of these into the units. Not sure if 6v versions are available but I would think the bulbs can be bought loose from Maplins and a auto bulb made up. The lights can then stay on much of the time with little adverse drain on the charging system.
I am looking at NAF going onto LED as it seems Microcars are invisible these days and having Volvo lights might be a good idea.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »
It may be "unoriginal", but I too like the idea of LED lights on classic micros when on the road...as long as the originals are kept. Low power consumption for any Dynastart, and bright enough to make known its presence on the road.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:08 AM »
This guy has an astonishing inventory:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl

He even had the bulbs for converting my KV headlamps from yellow to white (Belgian scooter bulbs, as luck would have it).
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway