Author Topic: spray painting  (Read 2134 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
spray painting
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
having witnessed jeans collection i have returned home full of enthusiasm , actually the first time in a few years , the bug is in me again . the first to feel this urge will be the Gordon !!

to start i must purchase a new spray gun and cellulose, not sure where to start really but g-o-g-g-o- has given me some pointers.

meanwhile i can probably do no better than follow the advise given in a letter to the column " workbench wisdom " in Motor Cycling Dec 2nd 1954 :

Spraying Reservoir

Most sprayers will find that if a foot pump has to be used to operate a spray gun , a reservoir made from an old inner tube can be invaluable in getting an even finish on the article being sprayed.
   An old inner tube should be used for this and another valve vulcanised into it opposite the existing one. with the core from this second valve removed and a pipe leading from it to the spray gun - the foot pump should , of course, be connected to the valve with a core - the tube can be utilised as a pressure reservoir. I have tried this on several articles and it definitely makes a difference .
   Bishop's Stowford                                                                                                                          N.B.Pigott

I am looking forward to a concourse paint job after following this period advice
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:39:29 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: spray painting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
A used inner tube might work, but not if there is any sign of rot, debris or talcum powder in it. Perhaps fill it with air a few times and exhaust it before starting to ensure nothing gets into the paint?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
oh thanks a lot marcus ! is that the only problem with that article ?  ::)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
Apart from that ir seems fine. Rubber can persih and put black specks into paint, even specific paint hoses can cause this when old, but if it is stable and given a good blowing out it should be fine, but test first! good luck, and good to hear you are inspired again, that always helps to keep a restoration going.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face