Author Topic: hi  (Read 6817 times)

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
hi
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
let me introduce myself, i am emma, daughter of the legendary alan evans of much maligned bamby fame. just letting you know that we (dad and i ) have a little something in store for the microcar world. things will be different this time though as i am a time served mechanical engineer unlike dad who s downfall was a knack for bodging though he is good with a paintbrush. watch this space !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi Emma, welcome to this forum !

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »
 And the same from the Bamby Fan Club too.  ;)  This might be as good a time & place as any to show the world that mine does indeed work after spending twenty years out of use.  One for your Dad Emma, it lives, it lives......   :)

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »
nice to know at least one is working :D........ contrary to popular belief some did work well and provided good service to there owners,some however didnt!  .i had the honour of test driving every car around the factory floor where we had set up a "test track", a cool job for a 10 year old.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Hello Emma and welcome! Your Dad's work might not be as great as some, but he still achieved things that many armchair designers only ever dream about, and has earned a genuine niche in microcar history. I look forward to seeing whatever it is that you are planning!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
Yes, welcome emma, this sounds interesting are we to expect something entirely new or maybe a reworked fully sorted drivable Bamby? We wait with keen antisipation!

Stuart, well done for getting it started,  have you tried driving it yet? ???

daughter of bamby

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
Yes, welcome emma, this sounds interesting are we to expect something entirely new or maybe a reworked fully sorted drivable Bamby? We wait with keen antisipation!

Stuart, well done for getting it started,  have you tried driving it yet? ???
     thanks bob, i am not at liberty to say just yet,get the jungle drums going and speculate amongst yourselves,should be about ready for the big reveal december time. :-X

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
Root and I discussed the fact that if one had bought 10 Bambys off the production line and put them unused in a shed you would now be looking at a return on your investment. None of us were wealthy or bright enough to see the opportunity. Indeed some just took the option to take the widdle. But you are right that Alan took the commitment of attempting to create a successfull production car, a far harder lifestyle choice than doing nothing to be proud of in your working life. I do not know how badly it ended at the time but life marches on and despite anything that happened I always felt Alan should take pride in trying to do something that he believed in. It is more than the majority ever do. If it is to result in a further, and hopefully more commercially successfull, project then I can only applaud someone I always respected as a true kindred spirit.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »
Look forward to whatever it turns out to be Emma, if it is a new micro car you should register it with RUM, and if you do not already know there will (hopefully) be another Open Day at the RUM Collection, and it might be a good idea for you to have a talk with Jean to discuss displaying it there.

Agree with you Alan, wise words.

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
is that a first for al then  ;D and does he get one of those prize thingies ?

oh and hi emma  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
A Sir Prize only please.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
As a Bamby owner I am delighted to hear of any elated or even related news!
I have attempted to add a pic of my one. Taken at the NEC a couople of years ago

Progress towards road legal status is slow due to other microcar projects.
Would be really good to add to the sketchy historical details from one placed on site!!!
Any chance of an article Emma??
Also are there any working drawings and component source details??
Mine was purchased already vandalised----now has glass and plastic, steering wheel, control stalk, missing engine cover, steering wheel centre and hub caps sourced and fitted. Just wiring to connect up few hopurs with a meter might do it

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
ready for the big reveal december time.

Let me guess... it's an electric Bamby to take on those damn electric Peels!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »
I want an electric Scootacar! No, no I don't! What a horrid idea. It would be a Battricar.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 12:36:24 PM »
An electric Bamby does exist, I guy I know did the conversion and bought the car to the Loxwood Bond rally a few years back. I had a drive and it worked very well, of course it didnt solve all the other Bamby things that need addressing like brakes, steering and suspension. Now the market is a wash with suitable automatic scooter power units, something there wasnt much choice of in the early eighties, a rework of the car would be quite feasible and an interesting project.  I owned one in the ninties and selected a better power unit, one with variable belt drive and it work much better , if I had persisted with it I would have scraped the go kart brakes and master cylinder that never had a header tank or reservoir of any description! You had to fill or should I say prime the cylinder with a spoon full of fluid and then hope that it didnt lose any in operation or you would be a dead man, madness!! Maybe a pair of Messerschmitt hubs and cables would have been better. The other issue as I remember was the rear wheel swaying from side to side due to over flexible silent blocks that the whole unit was mounted in[probably the ones from the Suzuki Cs50 scooter that the units were from] Obviously if they had been replaced with others that were too hard the vibration would have been transferred to the chassis.  The Nobel has roughly the same set up however the fluid transmission swing arm is held by a couple of stabilizing tie rods at the end, maybe this would have worked on the Bamby? I'm sure that Emma has cast her qualified eyes over it and has come up with something far more competent. Cant wait to see!