Author Topic: Microcar(-ish) kit  (Read 9219 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Microcar(-ish) kit
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
A British kit to make an open microcar out of Suzuki Burgman parts (so from 125cc to 650cc):

Eco-exo: the basic kit is £1995.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Microcar(-ish) kit
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
I like it! A younger brother to the Atom!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
Dear Andrew

If you look at the article in RCN on the Battmobile you will see the same vehicle and the same stretch of test track. The day I tested the Battmobile Stuart and co were assembling the first production vehicle to take to the stoneleigh kit car show. Looking close up the design is very clever and is a good use of the modern large scooter engines that are now becoming available. The only critisism I would make are; the seat belt arrangement that almost strangles the rear seat passenger, and the front seat back rest that just stops you sliding backwards and gives no support. Not the sort of vehicle to drive in the rain with no bodywork, roof or windcreen, but great fun to drive.

Stuart is excellent at getting the suspension and steering set up right, so it handles well. I wonder how long it will be before the first one is registered with Rumcar

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »

Lets try that
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
Well it works by default but it still is not what everyone else gets as a published message. Damn fool computers, I will overcome your systems!
Above you will see the option of having a Church Pod at £750 without all the SVA nonesense as it is registered already. Just add your Bergman and stay dry. Utter bargain!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:35:10 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:32:11 AM »
AL- you are arguing with an inanimate object.
Please direct your genius to better explaining what you have shown us pictures of.  I do remember something about a Churchpod project being sold for cheap, but never did understand what exactly it all was supposed to be about.
The Microcar(ish) kit for 1995 lbs  sterling looks very intriguing.  I would be wary,  however of any fast cornering whilst carrying a passenger as this would shift the center of gravity too far back (and even a little higher up) towards the rear wheel where you have almost no roll resistance.   
Is it just me, or wouldn't they be a lot more endearing with some compound curvaceous fiberglass body work filling in the spaces?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »
I have been unable to load pictures to this site from the word go. Not a techhead and even following the advice it does not work for me. However I have found a way to mount them outside the area where the picture should be if you do it properly. I count that a success against the computer as it is not the way it should be done. Very Microcar Enthusiast actually!

The pictures are of a Church Pod in construction. Looks kind of swoopy and fun I think. I can see little advantage in the extra money for the other machine. At least the pod is sensible enough to restrict itself to in line seating up to three people so handling while affected is not handed unless one of the passingers starts mucking about. Principally though the Pod is a single seater. I am seriously considering constructing mine as with the economy pushing up the cost of transport I can see a 100 mpg single seat transport being pretty useful in the country. The Pod is quick to, if you want it to be. I can run the Pod and a Van as a modern with several other classics in the background for less than I currently spend on two vehicles. Plus I will have a rare car there only being 5 Pods. As with all things, get them running, show folk they are good and then they all want one. The key is to have the imagination to find the niche first when no one is interested. The downside is lack of support so you have to take the chance you can get the thing working. Again it is part of being a Micro Enthusiast I think. Who but these guys will take cul de sacs of design and tempt them back into some sort of life when clearly they have been failures for some reason. Following is less fun.
I believe I know for a Church Pod for sale should there be interest but I shall hang onto mine now as I think its time is coming.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
Dear Al

In the spirit of microcar design and construction, using the latest available motorcycle and scooter engine transmission and suspension and rearranging it in a small light weight body with three or four wheels is exactly right. I can see that the Church pod has many advantages over the ECO EXO but then again I can see that it is more complicated which means less developed.

As you say many people have no faith in a product until they can see it running in the flesh. Therefore I wait in anticipation of you finishing your example and perhaps RCN could road test it for the magazine.

You say there are other examples of the Church Pod in existance. Do you have a list of who and where and the stage of construction.

As for other Microcar specials, I seem to remember a few years ago one that was well advanced with pictures posted on this site. Has it been finished yet and can we see some more images?

We need more new Microcars ready for the transport revolution to begin.

Chris Thomas