Author Topic: New Member - Hello!  (Read 3932 times)

lindsay

• Just Starting
New Member - Hello!
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:47:49 AM »
Hello all, new here, thought I'd introduce myself!

I live in Toronto, Canada and recently became totally obsessed with microcars. I have a several vintage mopeds and motorcycles so I suppose it was inevitable. Anyway, after months of searching painstakingly for some sort of tiny car in my budget I finally lucked out on the weekend!

I went to a car show in Barrie, ON, and once I saw it all I could think about was this little car. The third time I went back to look at it, someone was making an offer. Luckily for me the sellers wife was manning their stall while he chatted with the prospective buyer. I took a leap of faith, made an offer to the wife, and after some negotiation the car was mine!

After the sale, I had to find a way to get it home to Toronto. That's another story, I'll just say that unloading a tiny car from a UHaul trailer in a rainy alleyway at 1am was not quite how I pictured my Saturday night!

I'll be waiting until I can find a manual to begin tearing it apart. I think I'm going to need a LOT of parts, so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone has any info about this car I'd love to get it. From what I can tell it's a 1959 Prinz II but I may be completely wrong. The number on the engine is 4009821 and the badge under the hood has 4009949. Apparently it's been in a barn for about 35 years, but if possible I'd love to find out its history. 

It was all worth it, and I proudly present my 1959 NSU Prinz. It's got a long way to go and I've got a lot to learn about vintage car restoration, but it's a journey I am so excited to begin! Cheers!

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: New Member - Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:58:13 AM »
Welcome Lindsay:  Nice find.  I always loved the early Prinz's.  Good luck with the restoration.   Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:06 AM »
Never could tell a P2 and P3 apart. They are not easy to restore as most have long since rotted away and spares can be difficult. That said I think there is quite a small strong following for them on the American contenant. They are very capable cars and while some might quibble at their being a microcar there is no doubt that they have most of the attributes. I think the fact they actually work rather well might be something to do with it - see Fiat 500. There again across the Atlantic micros and light cars seem to be lumped together so there should be no barrier in ownership. I am pleased to say there is less here than there used to be. I hope you can source the parts you need and the car is not to rusty as finished it will reward by being a willing little work horse.
British contacts are few. Nick Haddon had my old Museum car and Ray Dilks is finishing the Wynford Jones car. There are perhaps about 10 left in the UK from what I am told. Germany does have parts and I believe floor and sill panels are available.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:32 AM »
Hello Lindsay, they are attractive little cars. My nephew has an NSU Quickly which he bought from a man in Milton Keynes who collects, deals and sells spares for NSU and their various badge engineered cousins. I will try to get contact details.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
Terry Stuchlik in Illinois has been the president of the NSU Club as long as i can remember.  He should be able to answer or put you in contact with the right person to answer or assist you in any of your quests.
You can e mail him at  terry.stuchlic@ewgateway.org

lindsay

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the pointers! The car looks quite rough on the outside but is surprisingly good inside. There isn't a lot of rust, which surprised me, but there are quite a few dents and dings. The engine looks to be in good shape with approx 4,000 miles on it. I've been looking at a lot of pics of these cars and still can't figure out whether it's a II or III. There is a badge under the hood that says Prinz 40 - I'm guessing that's the engine? I found a reference to a Prinz 30 but nothing about the 40.

On further research, I suppose it would be called a minicar, not a microcar as the engine is 585cc? Either way, I like it, and it's the smallest car I've seen in a while! These things aren't easy to find in Canada. The only other ones I've found have been completely restored Isettas, and while gorgeous, far out of my reach. Apparently there is a man not too far from me who has three Messerschmitts and a couple Isettas.

Thanks for Terry's email as well, Steven. I'll definitely get in touch with him as I'm going to need all the help I can get. I almost made the trek to Chicago for the World Meet in August but will definitely go next year, I think it's in June 2011.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
The P2/P3 is as much trim level as anything. My memory banks might be wrong but I think the Prinz 40 had a more powerfull engine. If so you have hit the jackpot as that will probobly be the best model they made before going to the less interesting to look at P4
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs