Author Topic: My Isetta on Top Gear!!!!  (Read 11142 times)

Jon Hunt

• Occasional
My Isetta on Top Gear!!!!
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »
Her's a link to the Isetta on Top Gear.      http://www.finalgear.com/

Jon.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: My Isetta on Top Gear!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:18:58 PM »
I know all the information he spews out is wrong but he does it so well and it is still rather funny.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
the information he spews out is wrong

Probably why this episode didn't make it into the latest season!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
Just watched the clip. Wouldnt it be great if Clarkson real did get stuck in a garage for ever never to be seen again!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »
The link does not work for me, it keeps leading to lots of other links and tags which don't work.

JC can be very entertaining and interesting at times, usually when he is not talking about cars. Top Gear's endless reviews of BMW, MB, Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Matin and a few other fast cars, and their obsession with speed and accelration has become very boring.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

jackiep

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »
Nice Isetta , what a shame that Clarkson had to drive it !!
    Like lots of Bubble owners/ enthusiasts  , if I had a penny for each time I've heard the one about not having a reverse gear ,
    then like Clarkson , I could have a Ferrari too.However I think these modern flashy sports cars are just a pile of poo.
      Or is it just the driver that are. ?    Jackie

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Has anybody noticed how modern cars have become wider and garages and parking spaces have stayed the same size or become smaller, resulting in people with Ferrari's and Lamborghini  Zonda thingies getting stuck in their cars because they could not open the doors once that had driven into the single garage or parking space. In that situation a door at the front or the back or even sliding side doors would be a much better solution.

Perhaps somebody needs to do a UTUBE video piss take on the clarkson road test style, blowing a few myths.

Exaggeration of the truth is the basis of most comedy and often the truth hurts as well.

Chris Thomas

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
300cc in a European 3 wheeler, no reverse, 1950- how about a litlte reality in reality tv.  Oh, that's right there is no reality in reality tv.  Seems we have to put up with some stupidity on both side of the pond.

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
300cc in a European 3 wheeler, no reverse, 1950- how about a litlte reality in reality tv.  Oh, that's right there is no reality in reality tv.  Seems we have to put up with some stupidity on both side of the pond.

To be fair to Top Gear, the UK Isetta was 300cc, built in the 1950s, (what a difference an "s" makes) and many I have owned did not have reverse gear. It was a government requirement that reverse to be blocked off for a  16 year old  to drive a tricycle. (Don't ask me why).

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »
what an idiot ! it reminds me why i never watch top gear . i didnt get sick of it like so many others week after week , trotting out those sad old cliches , no i just never got it at all !

R.I.P. :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:49 PM »
It was a requirement that to drive a three wheeler with an L plate unaccompanied in the 50's and early 60's that the reverse gear was blanked off, although it had a reverse, once you passed you test you could take the plate off  ( once you were away from the garage most owners used to take the plate off!!! ) until you saw a policeman !! this was because motor bikes and scooters did not have reverse - Mr Marples - Minister of transport took away this stupid rule in 1963 - hence the story originally told by Jasper Carrot that all bubble cars did not have reverse.
                                                                                                                                                   Mike

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
to all those luckily enough not to have heard of jasper carrot he was not a transport minister but a comedian, quite funny actually and known for possibly the naffest song ever FUNKY MOPED where he wanted ,in his very strong brummie accent , to royd ,royd , royd his fonky mowpid  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »
Has anybody noticed how modern cars have become wider and garages and parking spaces have stayed the same size or become smaller,

Absolutely, but not just Super Cars, lots of executive barges like Benz, BMW and Lexus are so wide that they straddle parking bay lines. Also in London when they are parked either side of a road it produces a major clog when 2 buses or trucks are trying to pass, sometimes even other car struggle to pass these space hogs, which usually only ever contain one man and his brief case.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
In 1995 I needed an Issetta engine for one of the actual "Urkle" cars that I bought at an auction from "Hollywood Picture Cars" that had been leased to the set of "Family Matters".  I needed the engine because the original had become separated and subsequently lost prior to being used on the TV show.
I do remember at one time being very close to buying a 250cc motor from a chap in the UK .  At that time he told me that all European Issettas came only with the 250cc motor.  Hence my mistaken assumption.
Which cars did come with the 250cc engines?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
Which cars did come with the 250cc engines?

Ones that were intended primarily for the European (read: German) market or any market that gave favor to vehicles with 250cc or less engines.
pretty sure most every British built Isetta had a 300 engine as well as those intended for export outside Europe (which would include the USA)