Author Topic: glass polishing  (Read 2734 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
glass polishing
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
Has anyone have any experience of polishing scratches out of windscreens?

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: glass polishing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
Hi Bob
              I used a "custom" kit that I bought some 20 years ago - it does work, I found it best if you mark up the scratches on the inside of the window ( with a thick felt pen ) and then attack the window from the outside - it works best if the windscreen is out of the car - The heinkel windscreen I did took me all day to do and there were only two light scratches.
   It's like Jewelers rough use it wet on a polishing mop , with an electric drill, wear old clothes because it gets everywhere.
                                                                                                                                                                                Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:01 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »
Absolutely so. Rouge seems to be best but toughend screens seem to be easier to do than laminated. Not done it out of the car and laminated probobly not strong enough. I found it useful to make a plastacine gutter on the car so as to collect escaped mixture. I finished of with a mop on the windy gun but the principle is the same. It took out wiper marks from Schmitt and Heinkel screens. Indeed I ended up giving the whole Schmitt screen a freshen up as it is small and other than one gouge, glancing blow from chipping? it was the better for it. Dirty and time consuming job so only really worth it for your own car if no better screen available.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »
bob,
 frost automotive do a kit for glass polishing ,I used their kit but borrowed the 'abrasive' from an antiques chap. I did find that polishing a deep groove completly out ( wiper blade failure )  did leave a ripple effect in the glass if looked at from the wrong angle
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,