Author Topic: more brutsch contd  (Read 3909 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
more brutsch contd
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
trouble sending a large file so trying again
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:04:50 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Re: more brutsch contd
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
Various thoughts:

Making a new glassfibre hardtop moulding isn't too hard but it's a lot of work - say, in the hundreds of hours range - so the only way to get it reasonably priced is if the labour is free - for example, if you do it yourself....

Finding the windows is a bigger problem.  Does anyone think that front screen is actually the rear screen of some other car of the period?

Making a new open screen surround is easy by comparison.  As the screen doesn't need to be scratch-resistant enough to allow a wiper to be used, it could be just plastic (acrylic or polycarbonate) though it looks like it would need to be heat-formed to curve at the ends.

Andrew

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
thanks. i have the crrect screen for open car and think it is the same isnt it as the hardtop screen
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
Could the screen be the dreaded Renault Dauphin rear screen as used on the Dart? I have one for comparison. It does seem to be the same on both Brutsch cars. The hard top looks bloody awful and not nice to be inside. However precisly for those reasons and the odd opening mech it ought to be done! A Peel Trident meets Beauford streaching, oh dear, now I mentioned to P word. I assume that the other Pfailes did not survive or are not hardtops. It is relitively simple to copy an item but making from scratch is a lot of work. The car has the potential residual value to make this worth while but that does not mean the owner has the capital! I would suggest it might be worth tracking the cars history of owners and a media appeal as many hardtops get forgotten when cars get sold on. It might still be out there as an unknown auto item in a garage somewhere. Likewise the suspension unit issue might get resolved. Is Worthy still scribing. Dave Richards, Malcolm McKay - on site I believe (Have I got you confused with your Dad, apologies if so) etc. These guys are proper scribes with access to good publications. The car deserves an outing in a mainstream Classic Mag as it is so unusual and managed to survive relitively undamaged. How can one go on to resist the Gordon.....
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
thanks for the kind words ! the car unfortunately has not survived unscathed . the garage where the car was stored in the 70's and 80's was damaged by fire. the hardtop had already gone , the rear lights were destroyed the whole interior burned out, all wiring destroyed, due to the plywood front and rear bulkheads deteriorating they had completely fallen apart- leaving little trace . no dashboard, instruments , controls, seats or seat frames etc. etc. the two halves upper and lower were hanging apart due to the bonding bandage " drying out " the wheel arches had become detached. further damage was caused by large quantities of carpet tiles being stored on the car and the bulkhead had slumped by up to 4 0r 5 inches ! causing the sides of the car to bulge out terribly ! this car has survived and will arise phoenix like but its had a very hard life !  the bad news is that no photos survive of the rear or interior of the car. the good news is its more difficult for anyone to critisise the job i do  :)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
i have the crrect screen for open car and think it is the same isnt it as the hardtop screen

Now you mention it, they do look the same.

Al's point is very true - copying an existing hardtop from another car is far, far easier than making a new plug and mould.  But it does require:

a) that someone has a hardtop (and I think you're saying no-one does), and

b) that they are willing to lend it to you for several/many weeks, let you take out all the windows and trust that you won't ruin their priceless hardtop.

Unless the hardtop's owned by an existing friend, (b) is almost harder than (a).

Andrew

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
it appears that of the pfeils made there are no other survivors. als idea of tracing the history way back may have legs (may be worth trying ) but Tony Marshall knew this car in the mid 70's and the roof had already gone then - but as alan says where had it gone ? it is registered 54 REH - stoke on trent i think . anyone remember this car in the 60's ? scmitt sidescreens wouldnt be far wrong but thats jumping the gun a bit  :) thanks for the interest all

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »
I had not realised it had suffered so badly. Really ought to see it one day properly. I saw it I think when it first came to you. Would that have been when I bought out Dave/Mike Smedley, he of Smash Robot anyway. I would love to own that! Clearly a restoration dictated by the availability of information and I now understand why it has progressed so slowly. Not a huge amount of help here as I have tended to shun paperwork. Needs folk to put in their Brutsch info and pics and referance to the librariys of auto material. That is time consuming in itself.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

piatti

• Chatty
    • Rollermobilclub Schweiz
Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
yeah seen them a few weeks back but the auction was ages ago wasnt it ? thought i had missed it

piatti

• Chatty
    • Rollermobilclub Schweiz
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
the auction date was 7./8. Mai 2010
Rollermobilclub Schweiz
www.rollermobilclub.ch