Author Topic: Russian amphibious? thing  (Read 2538 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Russian amphibious? thing
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
I thought this was an interesting looking vehicle, sort of reminds me of something from Tintin - shame there isn't more information about it

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2007/06/26/old-russian-car-that-could-swim/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Russian amphibious? thing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
Now that is really cool! I want one, just call me Nemo.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
It has been posted before, and I love it. It does indeed resemble Professor Calculus's shark-shaped submarine, which was based (as all of Herge's pictures) on a real mini submarine, but with rather more fanciful styling than usual. Would I like one of these? Most certainly! would I feel safe under water in one? Absolutely not!
My godfather is a retired submarine Commander, and from things he had gleaned in service, and my knowledge of the theory involved in Stirling Engines we were able to figure out that Swedish submarines are kept very quiet and efficient by using Stirling engines.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
Fantastic, lets club together and build a small batch and stage some pond wars!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:47:49 PM »
A few years ago I nearly got a TV job recreating the world's first ever working submarine, designed and made by Cornelius Drebble, and used on the Thames in the 17th century, and which even took King James underwater. It was rowed, the oars being sealed with double gaiters of leather filled with lanolin and fat, and Drebble even designed chemical re-breathing equipment. Sadly another programme was just ahead of ours and was about to start building, so the BBC refused to fund another. The recreation did work, but modern regulations and insurance limited what they were allowed to do with it. I was involved in recreating Halley's Diving Bell, which was filmed in an underwater filming tank used in lots of films and TV programmes. It was only about 6 metres deep, but the forces involved were astonishing: we needed 9 tons of stage weights to hold the beggar down, and one of the high tensile chains snapped, if you see the programme (What the Tudors and Stuarts Did For Us) you will notice that it is an an angle. Having been involved in that and seen how things behave, I now would be even less inclined to set foot in any submarine!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face