Author Topic: Road tax question.  (Read 13209 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Road tax question.
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
I want to lend a vehicle to a pal to do a road run. The vehicle is registered in my name but not yet taxed, niether do I have an insurance policy on it. If my pal gets insurance for it can he tax it although its not registered in his name? Any thoughts?

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
Re: Road tax question.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »

Hi Bob

There are a couple of insurance companies offering temporary cover for such purposes
as test drives, additional drivers and so on.  I obtained a day's cover for my Peugeot 406
in order to drive it back from Cambridge when I bought it and then transferred the BX
policy over when I got home.  The cost was about £30, obtained through www.dayinsure.com.
Other temporary insurance companies are available! www.insuredaily.co.uk, www.onedaycarinsure.co.uk
and so on - have a look on Google.

Whether they would offer cover for exotic machines such as ours is another matter but it might be
worth a few phone calls. 

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »
Hi NIck. I dont know about exotic, we are talking mopeds here! Its good to know about day insurance but my question was can another person tax the vehicle, someone who isnt named on the V5? You see a pal of mine wants to borrow my Tomos A3, insure it in his name and also tax it. The V5 is in my name . Is that possible? This is all in aid of doing the Dafodil dash on Sunday.

Just had another idea. I could insurure it for a day myself and tax it that day and then my friend could ride it covered by his car policy. Still leaves another question. Will they allow me to tax it with just a single day insurance poilicy?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:48:33 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
Buy the disc cash. The system checks MOT, Insurance and logs it against the V5C but the payment is not named so does not need to match the V5C. This is how dodgy cars get on the road as in fact none of the paperwork needs to have a legitimate address on it. Good system hey! It is what we pay our taxes for.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »
Yes but I dont have insurance for it, it will be his insurance in his name.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:32:26 AM »
The requirement is for the car to be covered by valid car/bike insurance. It does not need to be in your name.
The DVLA are attempting to create a system where the V5C acts as an owners document whilst it corries no checks or validity as such. It actually says so on the form 'not proof of ownership'. This was the saving made over the old council based system which had the RF60 green/brown docs as proof of ownership. The records had to be maintained with accurate information. They coped out and it is the new system that allows all the skulduggery of car theft by stealth etc. which we pay for in additional insurance charges rather than in direct taxation. You will note that all activities with vehicles are being drawn to the V5C. In fact this document is actually a rental agreement for a registration number issued by the Government to a particular vehicle and a nominated person and address to which all claims can be sent to for redress. This is why you can sell a registration number, it belongs to the State, not a car or person. It has nothing to do with owning a car. You can 'own' numbers without owning a car. You can export a car without these papers, sell it without the papers and so on. I feel the whole thing is actually a bit of a scandal.
A better system is for each driver to be issued with a numberplate registration. On this he mounts his insurance and MOT details for the vehicle for static inspection and this plate is placed on any vehicle he drives adjusted accordingly. You can only drive one vehicle at a time. The car has a logbook noting owners and service information which the police can demand to inspect within a time frame. Suddenly everyone knows who everyone else is and the driver is insured not the car but by agreement with you insurers who will have a record the police can view immediately to prove you are insured to drive the vehicle your numberplates are on. Not only that it would be a lot cheaper to run and crims/unqualified drivers would stand out pretty quickly. Also you get the full cars history.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
Hi NIck. I dont know about exotic, we are talking mopeds here! Its good to know about day insurance but my question was can another person tax the vehicle, someone who isnt named on the V5? You see a pal of mine wants to borrow my Tomos A3, insure it in his name and also tax it. The V5 is in my name . Is that possible? This is all in aid of doing the Dafodil dash on Sunday.

Just had another idea. I could insurure it for a day myself and tax it that day and then my friend could ride it covered by his car policy. Still leaves another question. Will they allow me to tax it with just a single day insurance poilicy?

I was in my main Post Office yesterday and someone was taxing her car on a day insurance certificate, the reason being that she was selling the car.  I was unaware that you could use temporary insurance for this purpose as it seems to invite the use of uninsured vehicles on the road.  I think that a better system would be the one in use in France where the car displays a sticker with the insurance details on it.  Road tax as such does not exist.  This doesn't get round the question of the Tomos loan of course.  Would a way round be to temporarily transfer ownership of the moped to your mate so that he could tax and insure it on his car policy?
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
Hi Nick. It seems the French have most things sorted better than us with the exception of their cuisine and their toilets!
Thanks for your input on this one. We would have used dayinsure.com if it wasn't for the fact that the post office will not accept a covernote downloaded from the internet and there is not enough time now for them to sent a pukka certificate to us through the post. It worth remembering for next time though. My pal has taken out a  full year policy that he can transfer to one of his bikes later and got a certificate from our local brokers so we are all set for the Daffodil dash on Sunday.We are calling ourselves the "Dodgy dealers" Essex's toughest moped gang!

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
Hi Bob

Glad to hear you've got the moped ride sorted.  Hope the weather holds for the Daffodil Dash .

Don't forget to send some photos!

Regards
Nick D.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
French cuisine? Better than ours but the state of the karsi is directly related to input. They spend a lot of time fiddling with food so the bog gets left. Rural France, Sunday at the reutiers it is quite exceptable for the men to leave the table for a run out against a wall or in a field in site of diners en masse. Strange tradition.

Good luck with the Dafs run. Will a holiday in Holland be coming for the 'Dodgy Dealers'? Mopeds seem to be quite the happining thing at the moment.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
Hi Al. I'm sure the French tucker is good for carnivores but as a grazer I always struggle to find a meal when over there. Honestly, they will eat anythings that moves no matter how slow! :D Mind you the pastries are to die for! Yes, the Dutch are mad on mopeds, this is my first ride out with a moped club, I may love it or may hate it and go back to my Italian 175 class. We will see.

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
Hi Bob

I warn you, you'll get hooked on mopeds and when you do, the National Autocycle & Cyclemotor Club
(www.thebuzzingclub.co.uk) will be there to support you.  It all started with one small Velosolex for me
and I've never looked back.

Regards
Nick D.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
Yes Nick, I will more than likely get hooked. Today we made the dash and both my bikes went very well, so much so that the pal I loaned the Tomos to ended up buying it from me! Tremendous fun! Met the guy who bought your Cheekyboy!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
Hi Al. I'm sure the French tucker is good for carnivores but as a grazer I always struggle to find a meal when over there.

Ah, vegitarianism. A concept not grasped in France really!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
It is even odder to Texans!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face