Author Topic: Nobel progress  (Read 3890 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Nobel progress
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
Spent the weekend on the Nobel.  Rebuilt the carb.  Put the steering back together.  Still some mystery to the steering linkage as it employs a short link that looks like a big rubber pivoted chain link between the rack end and the steering arm.  When attempting to turn left with the car not rolling the link overcenters instead of pushing the steering arm proportionately- hence the motion input to the wheels is lost, and the rack is heavily influenced to pivot clockwise on its unintentionally flexible mounting, which only aggrevates the problem.
Not to be so easily discouraged- I decided upon a test route around my block that only required right turns.  I think I hit 40 in fourth gear!  Very exhillarating to say the least.  A little too exciting due to the trial nature of the run.  Once I got used to the near zero feed back from steering, brakes, and especially the clutch, and the 2 stroke engine's sounding like it would quite at any moment during idle, I learned to more decisively clunk the shifter and really enjoyed it!   
Did hear a disturbingly loud clunk from somewhere about the left front wheel in the apex of the sharp left hand corner though. 
I wonder what parts other than the rubber steering bushes I might need.
Steve

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Re: Nobel progress
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »
good work...any photos?
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:23:51 AM »
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. 8)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
Here are some of mine including modified pedalbox of my own design. I will let you know if it works :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:10:59 PM by Bob Purton »

Jawmedead

Re: Nobel Progress.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
Good work, Bob. I see you're making a lot of progress.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:52:31 PM by Jawmedead »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »
Well one at least! Shush, its top secret!