Author Topic: Nobel 200 steering  (Read 3699 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Nobel 200 steering
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »
Thanks Bob,Blob, Jean and Goggo,
Dual shrieks and an ensuing mad laugh resonated through my neighborhood today.  You see I was successful in awakening my Nobel's motor from its 6 year slumber.
Also able to detach the brake light switch so i could remove the horizontal bolt holding the rack assembly in place without further need for messing with the intractable steering arm.  I had success removing the brake light switch screws because I carefully tapped the electrical banjo fitting under it until it just budged first on the one, and added a third days application of Kroil penetrating oil, tapped lightly for a few minutes and then used a German made folding T handle ratcheting screw driver while of course pushing just a little harder than i twisted for the other.
Hope to have better luck separating the column from the rack when I get the whole assembly relocated to a bench so I can better see what I'm up against.  I suspect damage to the rack, pinion, or bath as their is a discontinuity of transference of motion somewhere near the middle of its range.  Would appreciate that pats list as well as any info on where to get the parts.
The headliner on my car is out.  See no evidence of central splicing of the roof body work.  My cracks are most numerous above the drivers door.
Will take your suggestions regarding registrations.  Would like to know how I can view previous issues electronically as I can see no reason why future aritcles should be more relevant to my situation than past issues.
Steve

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Nobel 200 steering
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
My cracks are most numerous above the drivers door.

Which model do you have? Earlier cars had indicators on the roof and were prone to cracking, whilst the Model 'A' has indicators fore and aft. I have actually stood on my roof when piled in the back of the van with a second body balanced on top and it's perfectly sound.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »
 Would like to know how I can view previous issues electronically as I can see no reason why future aritcles should be more relevant to my situation than past issues.
Steve

true but back issues are not available electronically.
when I originally signed up for RumCar News I ordered any and ALL available Back Issues and spent many hours poring through them.

and you miss out on any future Nobel "news" by not getting RumCar News.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
Hi Steven, I just checked the Nobel parts list and there is in stock what is described as "steering rack gear and steering pinion gear" What that means exacly I'm not sure. If its the pinion that gone you may be in luck.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
My guess is that you have a broken gear tooth. I had this on my Velorex, but I am lucky to have a friend who is an exceptionally good welder and engineer and he tig welded a new tooth onto the pinion of similarly metal, then hardened and stress relieved the whole pinion. The new tooth was perfect.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the useful suggestions.
Blob- Mine has no indicators anywhere.  Was that common?
Jim-How and how much money required to take this route?
Did get the rack's pinion separated from the column this morning after about a 15 min judicious tapping session with a leather wound hammer.  Surprised to see the pinion and rack looking fine.  Equally surprised and perplexed to find that now the pinion is way too stiff after putting it back together apparently exactly as I found it.  Didn't even put the big cir clip back in yet that holds the bushing / pinion/ bushing sandwich in the housing.  Can see that there is  just a little play betreen the rack and its housing, so I don't think that this is the source of the bind.   Did notice previously that rack housing appears to pivot appreciably on the horizontal bolt that retains it to the belly plate rabbit ears.  Is it supposed to do this?
Believe it or not, that is not the source of the disquieting discontinuity that inspired me to take the whole thing apart as it still did this after being separated from the chassis.  Only thing I can think of is that maybe the pinch bolt to the column/ pinion connection was some how loose in rotational fixing even though it was awfully darn stubborn to pull off axially.
I have to admit- for the time being the steering has me stumped.
Steve 

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »
The rack and pinion once in place and the steering column attached should be bolted up tight onto those ears on the pedal box. It should not move. The more common cause of a clunk in the steering is one of the steering joints breaking up, you will have noticed that all the joints in the steering and there are many are silent blocks and not ball joints/rod ends. The rubber perishes and the pin ends up clunking around loosely in the eye.  p.s. I sent you a private email. Bob
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:51:23 PM by Bob Purton »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
Steve, if your car has no indicators it's most likely the earlier model, hence the cracking may have started where the roof mounted indicators once were. Basically the two models are virtually identical though yours will have a slightly different dash layout, reminiscent of the S7 Fuldamobil. Check: http://www.fuldamobil.de/ for nobel variants or http://www.microcars.com.ar/fotful.html for reference.