Author Topic: Nobel 200 steering  (Read 3591 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Nobel 200 steering
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »
I just received 2 micro cars.  A 1956 AC Petite, and a 1959 Nobel 200.  Flipped a coin and decided to work on the Nobel first. There is a distinct clunk in one part of the range of the steering rack.  Havent been able to get it out and apart for 3 reasons;
 (1) the single horizontal bolt that holds it to the belly plate is installed so that the brake lamp switch would have to be removed to pull it out.  The brake switch is held to the belly plate by 2 so far unturnable screws.  I'm soaking them with really good penetrating oil- but no luck so far, and I sure don,t want to strip the heads.  Is the rack really supposed to rock on this bolt as you pass the center point of travel?
(2) The massive (pitman?) arm  that it attaches to it must otherwise be removed, and while the 15/16" nuts came off easily enough, I'm not sure what kind of puller I would need and don't want to risk breaking something that is expensive or hard to find.
(3) I haven't even been able to get the steering column to release from the rack.  The pinch bolt and clamp came off easily, and it is not rusted- but I am once again lost as to how to separate the two without doing damage to either as there is no appreciable gap between the parts.
All help will be appreciated.
Also appreciate it if any body knows where I can find the aluminum exterior (Z) trim for this car.
I'm mechanically inclined, patient, and careful but definitely in need of info.
Thanks,
Steve                                       

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Nobel 200 steering
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:35:21 PM »
Hi Steven. I will let blob answer your steering questions as he is encountering similar problems getting his steering arm off, I dont thing a puller exist thats suitable, I separated mine once by clouting it with a bronze drift and hammer, its only a tapper and woodruff key/slot. I can tell you that the aluminium trim on the Nobel is the same as that used on the Messerschmitt and I approached the MOC last year who supplied me with some for a non messerschmitt car project so its worth asking them. Have you spoken to Mike Aryiss who holds the Nobel register, he has some parts in stock. Hope this helps.  Bob

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
Hey thanks for responding to my needs.
What do you mean by "it's a tapper"?  Do you mean to say that it is a tapered fit (cone fitting over a cone), or that you tap it together, or something else?
How do I get my car into the Nobel Register, and contact Mike Aryiss?  Does seem that I may need a better rack.
Any body experimenting with carbon fiber reinforcement for some of the body areas that are overly prone to  flex/ flex cracking? Where do most of them develop stress cracks?
Had no idea that the trim was from a Messerschmidt. Does this mean that someone is currently producing it?
Is it better to use wood filler or fiberglass, or some combination of the 2, or something else around the edges of the plywood that are slightly dry rotted?
Steve

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
Hi Steven
               You should join Rum Car News as soon as you can Mike Aryiss has a page in every issue talking about the "Nobels" and Alan Budd has a page or sometimes half a page devoted to AC Petite - I have a copy of the Nobel 200 car parts list that I can copy for you - It's not brilliant but it shows you all of the parts you need for the steering - The engine is a Sachs 200cc unit very similar the the Messerschmitt engine - in the past a lot of Nobels were broken up transferring the engine to a Messerschmitt - As Bob says the side trim is the same as a messerschmitt - have fun restoring your car.
                                                                                                                                                          Mike

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
I will let blob answer your steering questions as he is encountering similar problems getting his steering arm off

Alas I haven't touched it lately, failed with pullers, tried tapping it though it seems I need a bigger blowtorch. As for stress in the body, they're weak right down the middle as they were constructed like two halves of an Easter egg, early examples tended to crack across the roof.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
Steven, to get in touch with MIke Ayriss first you should Register both your cars with the Register of Unusual Microcars by going into the web site and there you can download Registration forms by clicking on to 'About the Register'  Send the completed forms to Alastair Lauchland and he will in turn notify Mike Ayriss who is in charge of the Noble section of our Register and fount of all knowledge with regard to Nobels.  You may also like to subscribe to RUMCAR NEWS our quarterly magazine which as Mike quite rightly says has both an Nobel page and an AC Petite page each issue.  You can subscribe to this via the web site also but please bear in mind the subscription goes from Jan to December so you should indicate if you wish to receive the issues for 2009 or wait until Spring 2010 when the first edition of the new year will be published.  Good luck with your restorations and keep in touch.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
Hi Steven. The Messerschmitt owners club get most of there stuff from Germany, you could probably find some similar trim made in the uk but we at RUMCARS like to see cars restored properly so I would recommend you approach the MOC, they can also supply you with the special fixings that slot into the back of the trim and then go through the bodywork, believe me, it will be easier in the long run. Yes, the steering arm is a tapper on a tapper, if you do decide to try knocking it through make sure you leave the nut loosly on the thread to protect the thread and apply some heat with a brow torch around the arm.[without catching fire to the wooden floor :D.] I have a stripped down chassis in my garage at the moment with the pedalbox and rack removed, if a picture would help let me know.   Bob