Author Topic: Some Scootacar/SIBA wiring  (Read 4170 times)

adi

• Quite Chatty
Some Scootacar/SIBA wiring
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
Its now time to assemble the scootacar wiring system (its getting close...) and since looking at the wiring diagram, i cant make sense of a few things, since the wiring diagram shows several things as blocks without giving you a clue as to whats inside them (grrrrr...i hate it when they do that).

So, to work it all out and figure out how to rewire it (i think im going to add a few more fuses!). Im actually an audio/electronics engineer, and unofficially specialize in power distribution, so rewiring stuff isnt difficult, but i would like to find out some things first so i can figure out how it used to work, always much easier to ask someone who knows already rather then trying to work it out yourself, especially since my scootacars wiring has been modified.

1). Lights The wiring diagram basically shows them as this:

The light switch, which i assume is a OFF-ON1-ON1+2 switch, is completely independent of ignition. So, it doesn't matter weather the key is in the ignition or not, or weather the engine is running or not, you can have full beam. In most vehicles im used to (German stuff), only parking lights can be turned on without having the key.

However...this is the wierd thing. I swear before i had the bubble car all to pieces, when i was first seeing whats working and whats not on it, the key had to be in the ignition to get main/dipped! Is this a later revision, (mine is serial number 426, i dont know if thats early or late as scootacars go)? Or is my brain just playing tricks on me because im so used to having to have the key in for lights?

OK, next

2) ignition switch. Does anyone happen to have a diagram of a SIBA ignition switch WITH reverse? I cant seem to find any literature anywhere about the reverse model.

From what i gather, it basically does this:

So, with the key in normal (forward) mode, one click of the key turns on A, ignition. A second click of the key (which is spring loaded, so it goes back to 1st click when you let go of it) energizes terminal C which cranks the starter (through the control box of course).

However, if the key is pressed in (which is only possible by bringing to back to off, key position 0), that energizes terminal B, which sends a signal to the control box to switch to reverse-mode. This lights the reverse lamp too. THEN, the switch can be put into 1st and second click, which does the same as forward mode, only now the control box is in reverse mode, it runs stuff in reverse.

Does this seem about correct?

The one thing that i dont understand is, why does the earth from the reverse warning lamp go into the control box, rather then just to an earth? Is there any significance to this? The SIBA box seems to have a dedicated terminal for this, as well as a normal reverse terminal?

Thats all for now...

adi

• Quite Chatty
Re: Some Scootacar/SIBA wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:48:14 PM »
OOOH...one more thing.

The wiring diagram suggests that there is a lamp in the indicator switch to let you know they are on. However...i dont think mine has one. Unless its a tiny one that im just missing? Or mine is fitted with the wrong switch? Mine has a long handle that sticks out of the dash with a red plastic bit on the end. Any idea about this?

Toby

• Occasional
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
Hi,
Its possible that there may be a tiny light bulb in the end of the stalk - does the red bit unscrew?

Dan Rodd

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
most british cars of this period(and all Reliants up to 2001,have lights independent of the ignition) its likely that the indicator warning light is the red plastic bit that you refer to.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
Yes, it is, As far as I am aware both types of switch used on the scootacar had the bulb in the end.

adi

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
Now that i looked at it, you are right, the red stalk indeed has a tiny fitting in the end that looks like a bulb may go in there.

Anyone happen to know what type of bulb this takes? It looks tiny, but its not a capless one i dont think. I didnt see any threads in the bulb holder, so i assume its a tiny tiny bayonet fitting?

Anyone happen to know the bulb ID number?

Thanks

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »