General Category > Unusual Microcar Discussion

Speedo drive cable?

(1/6) > >>

adi:
I know this sounds a little silly, but i genuinely cant find it,  where the hell does the speedo cable bolt into on the villiers power unit in my scootacar?

When i flipped the schassis over, i saw the speedo cable just hanging there, and i actually couldnt find where it bolts to at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

rayburrow:

--- Quote from: adi on March 17, 2009, 12:01:21 AM ---I know this sounds a little silly, but i genuinely cant find it,  where the hell does the speedo cable bolt into on the villiers power unit in my scootacar?

When i flipped the schassis over, i saw the speedo cable just hanging there, and i actually couldnt find where it bolts to at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Can't actually speak for the Scootacar, but my Bond Minicar mkD uses the same Villiers  9e engine.   The speedo drive is not taken from the engine, but from the nearside wheel hub!  ;D    My guess is that on such a ubiquitous engine as the 9e, used on bikes and cars of all types, with all sorts of wheel sizes, it would be pointless providing a speedo drive from the engine itself. 

Chris Thomas:
Dear Adi

I would agree with Rayburrow as the speedo drive would never have come off the engine, otherwise it would be a rev counter. Off the gearbox maybe, but more likely off one of the wheels. On early VW beetles it connected to a square hole in the front wheel brake hub with a split pin. So it could be something that simple.

Where are all the scootacar owners when you want them?

Chris Thomas

adi:
On pretty much all beetles its connected like you said to the hub through a square driver, although correctly its supposed to be a circlip and not a splitpin, but this is a common mod.

Im sorry, i think i may have written this in a slightly confusing way, due to lack of experience with these things. When i said power unit, i meant the whole engine/gearbox/chain/rear wheel assembly.

The reason im asking is because the cable is dangling near the gearbox, and is routed there through several clamps mounted on the schassis, and also through a hole in the schassis, and is also way too long to reach the front hubs.

So its long enough to reach the rear engine/gearbox area, is dangling under the engine/gearbox area, and is held in place by clamps and holes for its route, going to the engine and gearbox area. The patina/rust/oil on the cable and its calmps suggests nothing has moved for a very long time.

So, that makes me assume that, it must connect to SOMETHING in the engine/gearbox area.

Grant Kearney:
The Scootacar makes use of a speedo drive from the gearbox.  This is located on the underside of the box and between the 2 sides of the engine cradle.  The speedodrive is above 3" long and 1 wide with a very fine threaded piece sticking out to thread the cable onto.  You require a 'fork' drive that fits into the speedo cable (which often getsm lost when the cable is removed) and is pushed into the speedo drive and is held in place by threading the collar on the cable onto the above mentioned fine threaded piece.  New cables for the Mk1 are available from Speedy Cables at reasonable cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version