Author Topic: Remember this ebay schmitt...  (Read 34571 times)

Jawmedead

Re: Remember this ebay schmitt...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
sell the parts to help restore proper cars.

If you looked at Daniels blog of the restoration you could see how bad the body of the Messerschmitt part was. It didn't have much left to sell on!  ::)

Bye the way, any progress on your latest venture. Isn't that being made from different cars parts?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:39:54 AM by Jawmedead »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
 The value of Frankenschmitt's existance is worth more than the sum of its parts. Think about it. How many standard Messerschmitts or DKW's could keep a forum abuzz in the way this unholy creation is doing with perfect ease right here right now....   8)

Will Frankenschmitt be at the World Micro Meet next August Daniel? I wanna see it in person!

By the way folks, on similar subject, whatever happoned to the Likeness Monster?   ???

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
By the way folks, on similar subject, whatever happoned to the Likeness Monster?   ???

The Messerschmitt "prototype" made from US Export Isetta parts only went to $605 on eBay.
I suspect it is still in the garage where it has sat since it's birth.

I never got any contact info from the owners.  Perhaps they have decided to keep it rather than buy gold.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »
I have been trying to view the car all day but I cant get the link to work, I get the dialogue but no pics, if as Stuart says there are no schmitt bits worth having I shall eat my usual portion of humble pie, I'm getting quite a taste for it! With regard to Robs goad, does anybody want a badly rusted Nobel chassis? No? No one? Who wants a messerschmitt engine cover? Hundreds of restorers the world over.  My argument falls flat of course if there is nothing left of it! How can I get the pictures up?

Jawmedead

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
Hi Bob,
 This is the link to the first set of pictures when Daniel got it home.

http://www.aquateenshungerforce.com/frankenschmitt/overall_view.htm

You should be able to see the rest by clcking on a link at the bottom of each page.

Rob.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
I have been trying to view the car all day but I cant get the link to work, I get the dialogue but no pics,

The pics are rather large and can take quite a while to load for each page, that is probably why you can't get them.
I had a few just "give up" on me waiting for them to load.

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:19 PM »
Sorry about the picture sizes. At first I was going for detail ,and then I realized how slowly they load. The more recent entries should be smaller.

I did indeed give brief consideration to restoring it back to KR200 glory. The turquoise KR on the top of the first page is one I did a couple of years ago. (A rusty relic I bought from Bruce Weiner). I sold it in a moment of weakness. So, I basically know what these cars are about. I believe that this one was beyond reasonable restoration. I would literally have to have found everything. It simply was not worth it. Besides, the more I looked at it, the more impressed I was with the work the fellow put into building it. To wit:

The engine and front end are from a DKW 3=6. Since the radiator is behind the engine on a 3=6, he had to re-engineer the radiator to mount into the front of the car. That meant hooking up an electric fan (now seized). Also, the 3=6 works on the thermo-syphon principle, and I guess that would not do, so this car has a hand-built water manifold, and the generator and water pump off of a 49 Nash. Water pump, generator and starter have all been rebuilt.

Brake master cylinder is mid-fifties jeep, gas tank is hand made (I think) and electric bits are whatever was available.

And for the naysayers who think it will never hit the tarmac, I think you will be surprised. I am putting the engine together now, and may get it in this weekend. I hope to start it next weekend.

I think it will be an amazing ride. Imagine a KR200 with 60 horsepower and big wheels. Oh, and brakes designed to stop a 3000 pound car.

Title and registration should not prove to be a problem. You do not need much to put a 50 year old motorcycle on the road in Texas. And if I get historic plates, no yearly inspection.

Please let me know if you all have any questions....this is fun!
Dan

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
Thanks Rob but I'm still getting"This link appears to be broken" then google offers the text only version. I give up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:02:48 PM by Bob Purton »

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »

hope this works.

I think it would have been fairly easy to restore back to a schmitt...but also like the work you have done :)
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »
 And now for a further missive from Frankenschmitt's biggest fan.....  ;D

Dan mentioned on his blog that he wondered just when Frankenschmitt was likely to have been built. I would say not at all recently, possibly 1970s at the latest.  Why? Well, take the source of some of the parts used in the construction; 1960s DKW, 1949 Nash, mid '50s Jeep. None of these vehicles are particularly common in this day & age but would have been fairly easy to find 30 years ago.

Plus, if it had been built recently, would not the power source be far more likely to be something like Nissan Micra or whatever common FWD car there is in America at the moment. Also, look at the rust advancement. if it had been knocked up in the past few years would anyone have used such a rotten shell in relation to the oviusly high standard of workmanship? Clearly whoever built this thing was not messing around and knew fully what they were doing so would not have been wasting time with any old rubbish. This surly adds further weight to the built-a-fair-old-while-ago line of thought, becuse by all acounts the DKW was a well regarded "users" car way back when.

If only we could find that "who" to ask.....   

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »
I just realized that you can see part of my TR6 in that photo that was posted. Obligatory British content!  ;^)

Dan

Jawmedead

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
 Dan,

I wonder if the original builder was trying to copy the long nose of the Messerscmitt plane?      I like the 'mouth', it reminds me a a shark!!

When you guys over in US say the title of a vehicle. What does this mean, the registration documents?

Rob.  ;D

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
A "Title" is a legal document issued by the relevant State authorities ( Usually the state's DMV -  Department of Motor Vehicles) which shows some identifying characteristics of the vehicle, usually VIN, year and make of the vehicle with the name and address of the owner, together with any registered lien holders (Finance company, bank) that may have an interest it the vehicle.  It is an ownership document, just like a Property Deed or Copy of Extract for real property. All States issue vehicle Titles at least for newer vehicles, but some do not for older ones.  In Illinois, all vehicles have a title.  When purchasing a vehicle, this title is signed and addressed by the purchaser and the state will issue a new title in the name of this new owner, for a one time fee of course as long as the secured interest is paid off or added on as well.   This is not (NOT) a registration document as the V5 (logbook).  It only shows ownership.   You also have to register (license) the vehicle in your domicile state and of course another fee (annual), and with this registration comes the number plate.  The plates do not stay with the car.  They belong to the owner of the registration, the license or whatever the individual states call it, and can be transferred between vehicles as long as they are the same class and same owner. It used to be that plates were issued each year, and that these plates would typically be a different number.  Currently most states issue a plate now for multiple years and each year when you pay the fee you receive a dated decal to put on the plate to show that the plate is currently licensed and valid.  You also obtain with this yearly act, an index sized card with the number, vehicle, VIN, etc., to carry in the glove box.   In the event that the vehicle does not have a VIN, as in older cars, then this is substituted with some other number usually the chassis number or engine number.   I hope that this clears it up, or bogs you down even further.  The fees are not generally that great, In Illinois the title for a vehicle is $65.00 but the annual registration fee depends on the class of the vehicle. Typically a modern car is $78 per year, however special class such as "Antique Vehicle" (over 20 years old I think) the plates are issued for upto five years with no annual renewal needed for only $30.00 in total.  Supposedly there are limitations on the use of the antique???, but not strictly enforced. This is especially true in a small town such as mine where everyone knows each other, yet even when away from home the police are more interested in the novelty, rather than the legality.   Sorry for the run-on.  Ian.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:31:36 PM by cuscus47 »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
Dan,

I wonder if the original builder was trying to copy the long nose of the Messerscmitt plane?      I like the 'mouth', it reminds me a a shark!!

When you guys over in US say the title of a vehicle. What does this mean, the registration documents?

Rob.  ;D

The mouth is very cool. Based on how it is put together, I think the builder was trying for a three wheeled Formula 1 look from the sixties. I agree that it it looks like it was put together 40 years ago, and then left to rot. I am not yet convinced that it was ever driven much, if at all. Just based on the incomplete parts (wiring mainly), I think it was gotten to a running status, driven around the family farm for a while and then parked. I do not think the lights were ever hooked up.

Dan

Jawmedead

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
Thanks Ian,

I understand it now ...... I think!

Back in 1976 when I had my collection I was very well known to the local cops. I even had morning tea with them in their station when delivering mail. They used to come to my house as well just to talk cars and look over the micros. Never had any trouble from them. One Christmas as one of them left rather fast in his Ford Granada the whole road was awakened by HO, HO, HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS from the cars loud speakers.  He was grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Rob. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:50:38 PM by Jawmedead »