Author Topic: Remember this ebay schmitt...  (Read 34750 times)

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
Remember this ebay schmitt...
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »
http://www.aquateenshungerforce.com/frankenschmitt/

discovered this site today! think I would have put it back to original personally!
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Remember this ebay schmitt...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
 Brilliant!  ;D  I wondered what had happoned to Frankenschmitt!  I'll be as contraversial now as when it first turned up & say I'm glad it's being kept as an unholy creation of Messerschmitt & DKW.  Yes, it may look hideous & yes it might upset some purists, but that is precisly the reason to my mind why it SHOULD remain as it is.  The world is full of bog-standard Messerschmitt's whereas Frankenschmitt is unique! Not only does it have all the history of the two cars which went into it, but it also has the history of what it has became.

Frankenschmitt deserves to be in a museum in my opnion.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:18:52 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
Frankenschmitt deserves to be in a museum in my opnion.

yes, the Bodge Museum!

I do agree that it is nice that he actually "restored" the unholy union to whatever it probably looked like after someone thought it was a "good idea" to mate the 2 cars.
and he is having fun with it and that's the whole point.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:01 AM »
Amazingly enough, I find myself agreeing with Stuart; there are plenty of Shmitts in all sorts of conditions, but this horrible, ugly and ridiculous contraption is unique, and bursting full of mongrel DNA and personality.
 Oh but DEFINATELY not a bodge, or only fit for the Museum of BODGE !!
No, because a bodger is a craftsman/craftswoman who makes wooden chairs, and it is GROSSLY unfair to tarnish skilled chair makers with this BOTCHED -UP monstrosity. It is a botch, and a horrible one at that. It has little right to exist, but it does, and the world would be a sadder place if things like this did not pollute our vision occasionally. I love it,  let the monster live !
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
Like scootacar Mk1 I would have put it back to a proper car, this thing will probably never see tarmac [this is becoming less and less important as the Rumcar ranks swell with every more "enthusiasts" who have no intention of driving a microcar on the roads, some not even intending to own one!], preserving it only encourages more lunacy. Now, where did I put my angle grinder? :D :D

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
 Had a feeling you'd swing to the other side of the argument Bob!  ;)  Still, look on the bright side, at least Frankenschmitt wasn't built on an Inter.   :o    This subject reminds me of when the Likeness Monster turned up last year & I've just dug up the coments I made on that, which I think also apply to Frankenschmitt....

"...Too many times people either dismiss or condemn a car just becuse it wasn't "factury" built or designed. But then neither were half of the "real" micros we all rave about.  Suerly the very fact that ANY vehicle exists in any shape or form means that that vehicle has some sort of reason & history behind it, no matter if it was built by a vast company or Fred Jenkins down the shed. By some of the comments posted here, it would seem some are happy to just throw anything they personally can't be bothered about in the crusher & to heck with the details without even attempting to check them out.  For all we know, this could have been (for hypothetical example) one of Fritz Fend's back garden project cars from 1979. Or whatever. How do we know? Has anyone checked? But then why should the vehicle be any less interesting even if it wasn't? A lot of work looks to have gone into this thing. Suerly for that reason alone it should at least be given half a chance to try & survive......"

(Founder member of SPHV; Society for the Preservation of Hideous Vehicles)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »
If monstrosities did not exist,  we would have nothing to take the p*** out of !  If there were only  25 KRs on the road, then I would be DEMANDING its return to originality

DrNoose

• Occasional
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:48:28 AM »
Hi guys.

My name is Daniel Gibson, and I am the proud owner of Frankenschmitt. I just wanted to let you all know that I am enjoying this thread very much. I think I agree with all of you!  :^)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:43:10 AM »
Now put that in your pipe and smoke it you lot!!

FYI - I intend to mate my P50 with a Unimog!
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

barchetta

• Chatty
  • ready for a road run summer 2006
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:17 AM »
I've just looked through the site and he's doing the correct thing....the cars had allready had the 'damage' done to them and the present owner can't be blamed for the original project ( is there a lot of cheap moonshine in the US?) and it would be nice to see it completed as intended..
Its obviously interesting us all or we wouldn't all be watching this thread.
 I'm sure road registration will be something of a trial......
Fiat 500L ,Motobecane 40T & 51V ,Victoria Vicky 117,Trojan Mini-motor,, Honda p50 ,PC50 and NF75, BSA Bantam D10,Raleigh Wisp,Raleigh RM4 ,Garelli Katia and Eurika,

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
Welcome aboard Daniel. Most of us are in UK but a fair number in Europe America and further afield. I got your email, and glad you are looking in! We are all interested in the unusual when it comes to cars; although there are mixed feelings here as you can see, yours is certainly unusual !

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
Hi Daniel, welcome to Rumcars. At the end of the day its yours and you are free to do what ever you like with it, my emphasis is to get microcars back on the road whatever the mods they have had inflicted on them. I just cant get my head around the idea that whatever someone does to a vehicle be it a change of colour, light switch or chopping it in half must be preserved. THis crowd on the forum carry on alarmingly if someone sells a numberplate from an old microcar, its a mortal sin but chop two cars in half and weld them together and its somehow commendable!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »
Usually I'm a stickler for keeping cars in their original form, however to be honest there wasn't much of the genuine Schmitt left and what remains, probably would have gone in the bin years ago if were not for someone creating this thing.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
When I first saw this on Ebay I thought it was hideous, and why would someone do this .  :'( But the fact is that it was done, and so deal with it.  Looking at the remarkable and painstaking effort Daniel is doing to restore it is to be commended and all of the Frankenschmidtt's endearing qualities are emminating forth.  ;D  Keep up the good work.  8) Did it come with a title, Daniel? Keep up your great endeavour,  Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
"so deal with it"? I would love to! Dismantle it and sell the parts to help restore proper cars.