Author Topic: The Chinese Detective.  (Read 4384 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
The Chinese Detective.
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
While we are on the nostalgia trip, does anyone remember the TV series  The Chinese Detective , I think it was late seventies or early eighties. I remember one episode involved a couple of old boys who had a collection of microcars, one wanted to sell the collection and the other wanted to keep it together, the usual shenanigans followed, I recall a car chase with a Bond Bug taking all the corners on two wheels! Now was the story line based on a real situation between a pair of collectors we all know and love?

Jawmedead

Re: The Chinese Detective.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:18:37 AM »
I believe the cars belonged to Edwin and Jean.  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
Really? Thats interesting! Do tell more.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »
 Ah now, I've heard of this film & featured collection as well, & Chris Rees mentions it in Microcar Mania. He also states the collection was that of the Hammonds.  :o  Do elaberate somebody!  And where can we get a copy?

STOPPRESS; This wouldn't be it by any chance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Chinese-Detective-box-set-Brand-New-Sealed_W0QQitemZ330298692168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item330298692168&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:39:00 AM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jawmedead

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
That's the one Stuart. I think most of the cars were hidden under covers?  I didn't watch much tele in the eighties but can just about remember the bubblecar edition. Maybe Jean would write a piece about it in Rumcar News!  ;D

Just remembered, you were born around the early 1980s too Stuart. :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:20:04 AM by Jawmedead »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
Yes lets get Jean to write up the subject, it would be good to get the background, it was a very strange subject to base a TV prog on and I would like to find out what spawned the idea, I've got this theory that it was based on Tony and Malcom.

Jawmedead

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:55 PM »
What two old boys playing with their toys?  ;D

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:48:41 PM by Jawmedead »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
I remember Edwin did get involved with loaning some cars for this particular episode and they ended up under covers of some kind and never saw the light of day (or TV even) They just appeared as odd shaped lumps under tarpaulins in some back yard..  I can't remember very much about the detail I will have to ask Andrew I beleive he went with the cars to guard them!  I think we provided the P50, Scootacar and possibly one of the Heinkels.  Certainly the cars that were used in the chase sequence were bought in especially for the purpose and I believe they were pretty battered at the end of the shoot.  I don't think there was any truth in the statement that the programme was based on Tony and Malcolm's collection although I think they provided some cars which received the same treatment as ours.  Tony and Malcolm were both young men in those days and neither of them were married so they could hardly have been role models for  the 'two old boys' of that programme.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:35:01 PM »
Thanks Jean, that puts some background to it. The fact that your cars ended up under taupaulins is so typical of the film industry. I loaned a sextant out once for a film to do with Scott's ship the Discovery, what a fuss they made about having one of the correct period etc, when the film came out all you saw was the box! I know Tony and Malcolm were young men at the time but as I recall, one wanted to keep the collection and one wanted to sell so I thought this may have been the inspired kernel of the story. Then again, perhaps not!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »
I know Tony and Malcolm were young men at the time but as I recall, one wanted to keep the collection and one wanted to sell so I thought this may have been the inspired kernel of the story. Then again, perhaps not!

The Chinese Detective aired in 1981-82. The events which led to the end of the Surrey Microcar Collection were much more complex than that, and didn't take place until 1985, so it's rather unlikely that the SMCC was the inspiration.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, it was the first episode of the second series which featured the cars. Entitled "Trials" & aired on 9th October 1982, the programe overview reads;  " It is the first day of a trial at the Old Bailey and Det. Sgt. John Ho has to deal with a couple of O.A.P's, a twelve-bore shotgun and a fleet of three-wheeled cars...."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:45:49 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:07 PM »
Oh well, that puts my theory to bed then. I would love to see that episode, Stuart, if you buy the box set can I borrow it?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Ahh yes, the wonderful world of TV! I make props for TV programmes, and some of the requirements are totally illogical. Best example was the re-creation of the 1st ever patented freezer, which was actually never built because Perkins realised that it would take more than hand-cranking to get it to freeze. So we created it from drawings and got it to location....the hot house at Kew, where even the best modern freezer would not be able to make ice within a couple of minutes, let alone a couple of days!!!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face